Author Topic: Can't Find Him In '41 or'51..Dampier  (Read 552 times)

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Can't Find Him In '41 or'51..Dampier
« on: Thursday 21 March 13 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I have a William Dampier born 1820 in Somerset possibly Dorset..i have him and his wife Charlotte in all census from '61 onwards but nothing previous..although i do have Charlotte on her own in '51..any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Steve
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher

Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Find Him In '41 or'51..Dampier
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 March 13 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Seeing that William was a blacksmith - possibly he is the man indexed on Ancestry as
'William Dumper' aged 22 at Barrington, Somerset.  He is in the household of John Tratt, a smith, and has the abbreviation 'J' in the occupation column - indicating that he is a journeyman, so probably employed by John Tratt.  The name on the image is a bit cramped, but could well be Dampier.

William's occupation in 1861 appears to be 'Blacksmith & Mariner'.  Is this right?  If he did spend time at sea, that might account for his absence in 1851, when those on board ship on census night were not enumerated.

Charlotte King was born in Bedhampton, Havant, but doesn't seem to be there in 1841.  There are several Charlotte Kings in Hampshire who might be her. Do you have the marriage certificate?  It might help to know who her father is.
I see that William and Elizabeth's 2 year old daughter Elizabeth is with her grandmother Elizabeth King in 1851.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline pompeyboy

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Can't Find Him In '41 or'51..Dampier
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 March 13 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Galium...many thanks for your help...have had a good look at that census return..cut,cropped,negative etc..and i would say that it is the William i am looking for..as for the 'J' i thought that was just a scribble...he certainly was a Blacksmith but didn't even realise that was what it said(mariner) on the '61..must get my eyes tested.
Unfortunately i don't have their marriage cert..only know it was in 1847.
Quite possible then that William was at sea or away at least in 1851 as Charlotte is working as a house servant on Hayling Island though down as a married woman.

Thank you again

Steve
massey
clutterbuck
foster
searley
Hansler
Belcher

Census Information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk