Author Topic: John Douglas  (Read 2070 times)

Offline stuart robson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
John Douglas
« on: Friday 09 July 04 12:14 BST (UK) »
Looking for help with John Douglas, I have his birth as 18/6/1848 at  Plenderleith, Scotland which i assume to be Oxnam. He married a Margaret Brown Milburn in 1869 at Harbottle and they had 13 children that i can find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Robson, Douglas, Redpath, Sandilands, Keppie

Offline stuart robson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Douglas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 07 06:02 BST (UK) »
to add some further details he shows up in the 1851 census Oxnam, Roxburgh, GROS reference 802/00002/00008 as part of the family of a John Douglas and Elizabeth.

He has brothers Lancelot, William and Robert from the Oxnam Parish Registers (GROS reference 802/ 0020 0063:, Oxnam, Roxburgh)

They all show up in the 1861 census return for Oxnam again with the brother of John Douglas, Lancelot. Obviously the son of John is named after John's brother.

The Oxnam Parish Registers available via the GROS only seem to give the name of the father John when recording the births of John, Lancelot, William, etc..  The census returns don't appear to show their mother's name to be anything other than Elizabeth Robson. And that John and Elizabeth were both born in England, Bellingham area i presume..

The John Douglas born 1848 marries a Margaret Milburn by 1869 back in England in HArbottle and shows up as a Shepperd in Rothbury by 1871

Robson, Douglas, Redpath, Sandilands, Keppie