Author Topic: Ship Deserters.  (Read 3645 times)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Deserters.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 29 May 06 23:54 BST (UK) »
I don't know of anything on line especially in the 1950's but someone else may know of something, do you have an idea of where your grandfather jumped ship as it maybe possible to track him through the court case  in that area or the local newspaper could have run the story.

jericho
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SlaterNZ

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Beginner from NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 00:10 BST (UK) »
Yeah, I wish i had a ltitle more.... have to go hassle other family members for finer details - but from what i remember he said some where around napier.
SLATER (NZ) / ROBERTS (Breconsire)

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 02:41 BST (UK) »
Do you want to give us his name, year of birth  and how old he was when he jumped ship in NZ and anything else that may be relevant to him around the time he jumped ship ( ships name)  someone on here may be able to help you. Also do you know where in England he was from.

Offline SlaterNZ

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Beginner from NZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 30 May 06 05:36 BST (UK) »
Hehe yeah guess those kind of semi relevent details might help :)

Sorry,

Trevor Roberts - arrived well jumped ship in 1950... like i said think it was Napier, but could be wrong... know it was lower north island for certain though.  Trevor was originally Welsh, however I believe he was living in England prior to leaving and the company the boat belonged to was SHAW SAVILL & ALBION.

The ship he jumped from was the Persic. And I think there were a couple of them that jumped at the same time, due to a dispute with the chef or something - so the tale goes.
SLATER (NZ) / ROBERTS (Breconsire)

Offline Rainbowrob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 06:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jericho,
I've claimed William McGowan deserter off the Winged Arrow as my Great Grandfather who married Geraldine Sweeny in Fiji in the early 1870's.  The Winged Arrow was carrying a cargo of sheep bound for New Zealand when they jumped ship. 
William McGowan skippered small trading vessels for the emerging Fiji government from 1873 to 1880 when he died and Geraldine remarried.  His father was a ships captain in Scotland who married an English lass called Susan Hunter, when McGowan senior died, probably at sea because there is no record for his death in Scotland, Susan married again, but her young son around the age of 12 was apprenticed to the sea.
Geraldine and William had six children, four sons and two daughters, Maggie, my grandmother eventually married an American and they ended up living in Australia.
I'm curious to know if you have absolute proof your deserter was definitely your kin, if you do then hopefully that might help me with mine.
If you're interested in his life you can find the various stories on my blog site, googling Fiji or Levuka after my website name should get you in...

Rainbowrobstravels[at]blogspot.com

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [-- at --] with @

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 07:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rainbowrob

Welcome to Rootschat

I can't say defiantly that this John Brown is mine but he certainly fits the criteria for the time span of his arrival in New Zealand, according to his marriage and death certificate. The family has always known that he jumped ship in Port Chalmers and that he had the ship name tatooted on his arm, unfortunately those that knew the name of the ship have long gone.  So I suppose we will never know for sure.

jericho

Offline Rainbowrob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 07:37 GMT (UK) »
I feel much he same way about my William,  all the clues point to the Winged Arrow...it might be an idea to try to find a ships loading entry for Glasgow 1861..  I'll give it a go when I get a chance, if I find anything I'll let you know.

Robyn

Offline jericho

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 07:48 GMT (UK) »
Robyn

I would appreciate that, good luck.

jericho