Author Topic: R C priests  (Read 1812 times)

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
R C priests
« on: Saturday 23 March 13 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Was just wondering is there any way of finding out in which parishes a particular priest served during the 19th century?
Person I am interested in was Fr. Patrick Mcdonald/Mcdonnell.
He was born about 1831 in Derrylamogue Rosenallis Queens County son of Daniel Mcdonald and Mary Griffin.Had at least 2 sisters;Mary Maher Carlow and Ann Kehoe/Keogh Wicklow and 2 brothers James and Daniel.
I do know that he served for a time in Graiguenamanagh Kilkenny (think there is either a plaque or headstone to him in Duiske Abbey.
The reason I am looking for where he was based is that I believe both his sisters married and lived a long way from their home which strikes me as unusual for the time.
Thanks for reading.If anyone wants any more info. or can help then please reply.
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: R C priests
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 13 11:39 GMT (UK) »
had a quick look at the listing for 1880, there are several possible matches...

P. McDonald, Coolaney (Achrony)
  Patrick McDonnell, Hacketstown (Kildare)
  Patrick McDonnell, Ballycastle (Killala)
  Patrick McDonnell, Ballymacneally (Killaloe)

(location given is post town, diocese in brackets)

Do you have dates for when your Patrick was in Graiguenamanagh ?
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Wow that was quick.
He is buried in Graiguenamanagh as far as I am aware and had a quick look for him on the 1901 census and doesnt appear to be there so am assuming he died pre 1901.

If he is buried there that would prob. mean that he was serving there when he died ?

Hacketstown would fit the bill as his sister Ann married about 1864 to a man called John Keogh from Oldtown Hartstown Wicklow(not a million miles from Hacketstown).

His sister Mary was married(?) in the early 1870s to a Maher from Bagenalstown Carlow(not that far from Graiguenamanagh).

The wedding dates I have guessed at from looking at the ages of their children from the 1901 and 1911 census.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Hartstown/Oldtown/1808184/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Carlow/Bagenalstown_Rural/Donore/308934/

From where did you get the info. regarding priests serving in parishes?

Thanks again.

Denis
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:23 GMT (UK) »
from Ecclesiastical listings in Thom's directory

That Patrick was based in Hacketstown parish as PP, with two curates - Patrick Griffiths and Patrick Boland. I'll see if there are any later listing for him at that parish..

S
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:32 GMT (UK) »
in 1885 Patrick Boland is the PP in Hacketstown, presumably the curate from 5 years earlier. One of the  Patrick McDonnell entries is in Kidare & Leighlin Diocese is PP at Graig (Graignamangh) parish - so seems like your Patrick (the other Patrick McDonnells are Enniskillen and Killala).

Patrick McDonnell is still listed as PP at Graig/Graignamangh parish in 1891 and 1899
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
A Jos. Mooney is PP in Graignamangh in 1904 - doesn't seem to by any sign of your Patrick - the ones listed are a McDonald in Collooney, (nr. Sligo), and two McDonnells near Dundalk, and Kilbride, (Dublin/Wicklow).
My Surname Interests

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 March 13 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that.

Was just talking to my mother and she told me that he is buried in Graiguenamanagh and a lamp(light?) in Duiske Abbey has his name etc. inscribed on it.
Looks likely then that this was his last parish.

Once again thanks for the info.Must look at Hacketstown and try to see if anything about him is available there.

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 04 April 13 14:27 BST (UK) »
Hi its me again!
Looking for one more lookup from Shanew147 in Thoms.
Was just wondering if the Fr. Patrick Mcdonnell I asked about earlier was a curate in Ballylinan Queens County in or around 1873.
Reason is that I think his sister married here in Nov. 1873 .She would have been from Rosenallis Laois and her husband from Bagenalstown Carlow and this whilst about halfway between the 2 places it strikes me as an unusual place to marry unless her brother was a curate there.
According to RootsIreland
Mary Mcdonnell of Dirlanogue married Thomas Maher of Carlow in Ballylinan on 13th November 1873 and the priest was Fr. Patrick Mcdonell.
If this is the correct woman she would have been from Derelamogue so address looks like a misspelling or transcription.

Thanks for reading.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 04 April 13 18:15 BST (UK) »
Three listings for that name for 1872 in the Index :

Patrick McDonnell, Killaloe, Borrisokane   (Diocese / Post-town)
  Patrick McDonnell, Killala, Ballycastle
  Patrick McDonnell, Kildare & Leighlin, Baltinglass

The last entry (as McDonell) is listed as a curate in Baltinglass parish in the diocese listing, with a Very Rev. Denis Kane as P.P.

the town of Ballylinan, or Ballylynan, is in the civil parish of Killabban, and was in the RC parish of 'Arles / Killabin', Diocese of Kildare & Leighlin. The parish has a border with Co. Kildare, and quite close to Athy, and also not far from borders with Co. Kilkenny and Carlow.

The 1872 listing for the parish of 'Arles and Ballylinan' has James Bray as P.P. and Henry O'Neill as curate.
My Surname Interests