Author Topic: Are you researching O Gormans of Birr?  (Read 6221 times)

Offline catmint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Are you researching O Gormans of Birr?
« on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:02 GMT (UK) »
My great grandmother Catherine ( Kate) O Gorman was born in Offaly (possibly Birr) abt 1851.  She and many of her brothers and sisters emigrated to England and settled in the Liverpool area.  I am interested to know more about her Irish roots.  I believe her father's name may have been Robert, he was a butcher and reared beef, exporting some to Liverpool.  Does this ring any bells with anyone?  Any help much appreciated.
Jefferys- Wiltshire & Jersey.  O Gorman- Birr Offaly & Liverpool, Olsen Hafstad - Norway & Liverpool, Wall- Wicklow, Smith- Dublin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Are you researching O Gormans of Birr?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Do you have names and approx. dates of birth for Catherine's siblings ?

Catherine was born well before the start of civil records, but if she had any younger siblings born after 1864, they might have been included in civil records...

Do you have a marriage cert for Catherine ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records
        My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline catmint

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this advice - the articles on researching Irish records will be very useful. 
Catherine's siblings are older than her, the names I know of are Mary, Eliza and John.  I have the marriage certificate for Catherine, married 1873 in Liverpool - her father's name is Robert O Gorman (deceased by this date) and profession given as butcher.  No idea of her mother's name or where she was from.
Will follow some of the research guidence and see what else I can find out about Robert O Gorman.
Many thanks
C
Jefferys- Wiltshire & Jersey.  O Gorman- Birr Offaly & Liverpool, Olsen Hafstad - Norway & Liverpool, Wall- Wicklow, Smith- Dublin

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Most will be listed without the O' prefix, so just Gorman .

There are a number the Gorman entries on Griffith's valuation, which would be around the right timeframe (c1847 to 1846), but most seem to be farmers.

see : Gorman, King's Co.

Griffith's valuation was a land taxation survey.

p.s. at the time Birr was usually listed as Parsonstown.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 March 13 12:56 GMT (UK) »
If Catherine's father died after the start of civil death records then he should be included - i.e. so a cert would be available. This would show his occupation, which could be useful as this detail is not usually included on RC baptisms or marriages.

two possible deaths, both of the same age but different year and references, showing up on the BMD Index between 1864 and 1873 :

Name: Robert Gorman
  Event type: Death
  Year: 1865
  Registration district : Parsonstown
  Volume: 3 / Page : 559

Name: Robert Gorman
  Event type : Death
  Year: 1864
  Registration district: Parsonstown
  Volume : 18 / Page : 417

might be worth checking these out....

see : Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
         Details included on a Death Cert

My Surname Interests