Author Topic: Herbert John Benjamin Phillips of Monkton  (Read 6827 times)

Offline treddz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert John Benjamin Phillips of Monkton
« on: Tuesday 26 March 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information about Herbert John Benjamin Phillips born 1919 in Monkton,
He married  a Glynis Eva martin in 1938.
I have just purchased what I thought was his death Certificate it seems I have the wrong Herbert down.
The certificate I received has him down as Herbert Benjamin John Phillips, thought it was a mistake
with the Benjamin and John it was not this Herbert was born in late 1918.
Have tried everything I can think of without any luck trying to find Herbert john Benjamin Phillips.
I know he had 2 sister's and a brother in Monkton.
His parents last address if it helps was India Row Monkton.
Any ideas will be most welcome.
Thank you
Treddle, Harrison, West, Thompson, Baldwin, Ariss, Messenger, Hunt Shilton, Thompson, Bishop Warwickshire.
Stratford Oxfordshire.
Carvell, Peach, Basford Cockerill Allen Northants.
Monaghan, Brady Ireland.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Herbert John Benjamin Phillips of Monkton
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered that he may have died in the last few years. Online death indexes only go up to 2006.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Herbert Benjamin John Phillips was buried in St Michaels Cemetery Upper Lamphey Road on the 25 May 1978 in plot D. 129.
I have to go to the cemetery to obtain some jpeg's of headstones, so can get this one for you if, no one else beats me to it.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Looking at my transcription of the parish registers of Pembroke St Michael for the period 1901 to 2000 I note the following for your interest ;
13 Nov 1918 Henry Benjamin John to Alfred, occupation sailor & Gladys Mary Phillips of Rose Valley was baptised.
Born on the 14 Jan 1920 baptised on the 18 Feb 1920 Joyce Kathleen to Alfred employed as a Dockyard Labourer & Gladys Mary Phillips of Rose Valley Pembroke baptised by J.A.G. Howell.
Born 12 Nov 1926 baptised 30 Nov 1926 Wallace Stanley Phillips to Alfred employed as a labourer & Gladys Mary Phillips of Rose Valley baptised by J.A.G. Howell
(You have not mentioned parents so have listed here just in case there is an error between Henry and Herbert?)
Looking at my transcription of the mrge registers of Pembroke St Michael
Katherine Elvis Phillips dau of Alfred Phillips mrd Albert George Mead 13 Nov 1939 (Fuller details held if req'd)
Gynthia Valeria Jose Phillips dau of Alfred Phillips mrd Gilbert Layton Brown 13 Nov 1939 (Fuller details held if req'd)
Yes ~ they did both marry on the same day.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
1946-2015

Offline treddz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Herbert John Benjamin Phillips was the child of Henry Phillips born Monkton in Sept 1876.
He married a Elizabeth Rawlinson in Chorlton Cum Hardy in May 1918.
Herbert was the son of John Phillips of Monkton and Elizabeth Merrimen of Carew.
Who was the son of Benjamin phillips born 1811 in Monkton and Margaret Jamesborn 1810 in Monkton.
My wife's Auntie told us the Phillips family are a local Monkton family
Treddle, Harrison, West, Thompson, Baldwin, Ariss, Messenger, Hunt Shilton, Thompson, Bishop Warwickshire.
Stratford Oxfordshire.
Monaghan, Brady Ireland.

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 27 March 13 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Herbert John Benjamin Phillips was the child of Henry Phillips born Monkton in Sept 1876.

Herbert was the son of John Phillips of Monkton and Elizabeth Merrimen of Carew.

Who was the son of Benjamin phillips born 1811 in Monkton and Margaret Jamesborn 1810 in Monkton.

I have transcribed the full parish registers for St Mary, St Michael, and Monkton St Nicholas 1711 to the 1930’s for all and every baptism Mrge and Burial.
There is no reference to the baptism of a Herbert John Benjamin Phillips at Monkton post 1876
There is a Herbert Phillips baptized 03 Sept 1876 to John & Mary Phillips of Priory Terrace Monkton a Wheelwright by trade baptized by Henry S. Blink
(Note entry as per register I have double checked the original)
(Note India Row did not exist at this time)
(Note this is the only child baptized to this couple between 1837 and 1935 at Monkton).
There are no children baptized to this couple at St Mary
There are no children baptized to this couple at St Michael

There is no mrge of a John Phillips to Elizabeth Merriman at Monkton so presume the mrge took place at Carew.

I presume that the Benjamin shown was born in 1811, thus making their mrge post 1830, from my transcription of Monkton mrge’s I note
21 January 1836 Benjamin Phillips a bachelor of this parish married Margaret James of the parish of this parish by banns in front of James Dalton. Both signed their name in the presence of William Pagett and Sarah James.

Monkton Parish Baptism Register
02 Nov 1841 Joshua to Benjamin & Margaret Philipps of Priory Terrace a Carpenter baptized by Octavius Leach.
(Note This is the only child born to this couple at Monkton between 1836 and 1876. Since there is a different spelling of the surname, I searched all variations possible of thie surname Phillips)

From my transcription of the Parish Registers of Pembroke St Mary Baptism I note ;
24 Apr 1836 William the son of Benjamin & Margaret Phillips of St Daniels a Carpenter by trade was baptized by James Dalton.
(Note The Church of St Daniels never had any registers, all entries for Bapt Mrge and Burial at St Daniel are in either St Mary or St Michael Parish Registers.)
(Note this is the only child baptized to this couple between 1836 and 1847 in this parish)
(Note There are no children baptized to this couple at St Michaels 1836 to 1901)

There is no reference to the baptism of a Benjamin Phillips at Monkton circa 1811. Since one only had to be in a parish for a minimum of 6 weeks before mrge to be of that parish at mrge, it is not surprising he was not baptized there.
There is no reference to the baptism of a Margaret James at Monkton circa 1811.

There is no Henry Phillips baptized at Monkton or Pembroke circa 1850 ~ 1860, there is a Henry Phillips baptized at Lamphey 19 Sept 1852 to John & Jane Phillips.

Given that the above is so way out of your own research post Sept 1837 I just wonder if the family where non-conformist. There used to be 2 chapels in Monkton, for which absolutely no records survive, which would show why there is no continuity of the family in the parish.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
1946-2015

Offline flashdrive

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 September 13 12:41 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
Herbert John Benjamin Phillips was my father. Dad had two sisters  Molly & Margaret ( Margaret i believe died during the war) & a brother called Bill.

My grandparents lived i believe in India Row but not positive regarding that. Dad passed away in around 1982-83.

Hope this has been of help to you.

Regards  Sylvia

Offline Orielbenfro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 September 13 08:00 BST (UK) »
AS you are aware it is quite easy to track back Herbert Phillips in Monkton until 1881, when he is always shown as the son of John & Mary Phillips.

As previous stated India Row did not exist , I believe until the turn of the 20th century or later, a quick check can confirm its exact date when the road lay out changed in Monkton.

John Phillips is not married in 1871 but lives on Priory Terrace Monkton with his sister Martha. As previous stated John Phillips had married Mary Merriman in the 3rd Qtr of 1875, but the mrge had not taken place at Monkton St Nicholas or Pembroke St Mary or St Michael. It is believed that there mrge took place at Tenby St Mary In Liberty on the 28 Sept 1875.

1871 ;
John Phillips aged 32 declares born at Monkton, but his baptism did not take place there or in the surrounding established church parishes, most lightly N-C.
Martha Phillips aged 19 sister to John declares born at Monkton but her baptism did not take place there or in the surrounding parishes
Evan Phillips aged 24 brother to John Phillips declares born at Monkton but his baptism did not take place there or in the surrounding parishes
Sarah J. aged 10 years niece to John declares born at Monkton but her baptism did not take place there or in the surrounding parishes.

1861 John Phillips lives on corner of Back Terrace and Priory Terrace Monkton with his parents Benjamin & Margaret Phillips along with his siblings William, Mary, Joshua, Evan, Elizabeth and Martha. Of his parents Benjamin was born at Robeston Wathen and Margaret was born at Carew.

1851 John still lives with his parents Benjamin & Margaret on Priory Terrace and in addition his ‘mother’ Sarah James lives the family at Monkton

1841 John still lives with his parents Benjamin & Margaret on Priory Terrace the only children shown beside John are William and Mary.

As we know all mrge pre Sept 1837 had to take place in the established church irrespective of faith followed.
From my transcription of the P.R.’s of Monkton I note the following
On the 21st January 1836 Benjamin Phillips bachelor otp married Margaret James spinster otp by banns in front of James Dalton. Both signed their names in the presence of Wm Pagett and Sarah James.
Since Benjamin had been born in Robeston Wathen, he must have resided in Monkton for at least 6 weeks to be of that parish at mrge in 1836.

In 1871 Mary Merriman later wife of John Phillips is working as a Cook to Mr Reid who lived between the Lion Hotel and the Malt Store later Hancocks Brewery on Main Street Pembroke
1861 Mary Merriman is a servant at Sageston to John Codd Maltsters Clerk and travellor
1851 I believe Mary is living with her parents at Weston Martletwy the daughter of Thomas & Elizabeth Merriman.

Thomas Merryman had married Elizabeth Reese in the Narberth Registration District in 4th Qtr 1841.

Thomas Merriman was the son of John & Mary Merriman nee’ Davies who had married at Minwear 20 June 1818.

You will find some further assistance on the Phillips of Monkton at

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/PEM/Pemtax1.html

From which you may recognize the author.

Trust the above is of some assistance.
Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
1946-2015

Offline treddz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 November 19 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Sylvia
Trying to find out  more about Elizabeth Rawlinson
ie. who her Parents were trying to the rest of my wife's ancestor's.
Sadly she died just before Christmas last year.
Hope you can help me out Sylvia
MickT treddz
Stratford Oxfordshire.
Monaghan, Brady Ireland.