Author Topic: marriage of john jones  (Read 872 times)

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage of john jones
« on: Tuesday 26 March 13 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello...John Jones born c.1868 married Mary born c.1872...they had a son also John Jones born 1903 ...Mary's single name eludes me..

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage of john jones
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 17:53 GMT (UK) »
If your John Jones was a coal miner living in the parish of
   Helmington Row

Then there would also appear to be these children and they would appear to marry in 1891.

Mary Jane Jones  C 1891
Thomas William Jones  C 1901
John Jones  C 1903
Margaret Jones  C 1906
Catherine Jones  C 1908

Unfortunately there are two John Jones marrying a Mary in the same quarter so the only way to be sure you have the right one is to get the birth certificate of one of the children.  I would suggest Catherine as there is only one to chose from under this reference. The certificate will give the mother’s maiden name

Births Dec 1908

Jones   Catherine      Auckland
10a   217

James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 18:30 GMT (UK) »
There are 18 (plus a one in Easingwold) John Jones marrying a Mary in County Durham 1890-1903. Normally the right child would be the first person to find because his certificate would give both mother and fathers full names. A marriage certificate without the child would not be proof you had the right parents. As Davidft suggests more information is needed before a search can start.

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I am going to take a wild guess here and say John Jones marries Mary Smith, not that that will help you much as then you have to decide which Mary Smith. I am thinking Mary daughter of Thomas and Margaret.

Of course this is all conjecture without extra information, i have just noted it now to see if it turns out to be correct in the fullness of time ..............
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Davidt.  Will go the certificate route...thanks everyone....

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Davidt ...looks like it may well be SMITH...have sent for cert to check....thanks again

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Ok let us know if it turns out to be right.

May be another child too, Rose born 1912

(as well as two names not known who died between censuses)

Offline borderman

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 22 April 13 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Davidft    at long last the certificate has arrived...you were right it is Mary Smith....so now i can hopefully move on...Thanks Again

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 22 April 13 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for coming back to say it was Mary Smith

Good luck with the rest of your search