Author Topic: Thomas Worley origins help  (Read 1089 times)

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Worley origins help
« on: Thursday 28 March 13 13:16 GMT (UK) »
I am in need of help for an individual who was from Bristol. The name of the individual I am researching is: Thomas Worley
Here's the information I have on him that might help you:
Thomas was born between 1783 and 1787 in Bristol. I'm not sure in which parish specifically he was born. For some reason, he moved to Devonshire where he married Mary Harris in the parish of Stoke Damerel in 1815. The marriage record states that he was of this parish (meaning Stoke Damerel). His occupation was that of a cordswainer. (I have tried researching if maybe this occupation might be able to provide some insight, but I have yet to find anything useful. I'm not proficient in apprenticeships and the logistics behind that.) Thomas had at least five children, all born in Devon. He died in 1853 and is buried in the parish of Stoke Damerel.
The 1841 census indicates that he was not born in Devon. The 1851 census provides the information that he was from Bristol. I searched the 1841 census for "Worley" in Gloucestershire and no immediate family members could be determined. He was also a part of the only Worley family known to be living in Devon in 1841.
I hope this is enough information to help you get started. I've really hit a brick wall here with this individual and can use all of the help I can get!
Let me know if you have any questions or need anything clarified. Thank you!

Offline frogspawn4

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Worley origins help
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 March 13 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Don't know if you have the details from the 1839 Robson's Directory
Thomas is listed as living at Clowance Street- boot and shoemaker.

Regards
Jaques:London and Wiltshire
Little: Alderton, Wiltshire
Tooke:Lowestoft,Suffolk
Lines:Spexhall,Suffolk
Taaffe:London and Ireland
Browne: Rotherhithe, London
Thorpe: Manthorpe,Lincs
Carrot: Lincs

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 March 13 13:38 GMT (UK) »
No, I wasn't aware of that entry. Thanks for bringing it to my attention :)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 March 13 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Matt - perhaps relatives - on FamilySearch there's are:

baptism for Hannah Worley 13 April 1787 at St Philip & St Jacob's in Bristol - parents James & Mary

baptism for Betty Worley 26 May 1790 at Dunntisborne Abbots, Gloucs. parents Jeremiah & Mary

They're also showing from the 1861 a Sophia Racki Worley aged 77 (ie born c 1784) Bristol Redcliffe. I see they have other Worleys born Gloucestershire from the 1851.

All perhaps sideways stuff, but may add to the picture.

Offline MattH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 March 13 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your insight. I noticed also on Family Search that there was a Thomas Worley who married Ann Wodam in 1767 at St Phillip and St Jacob in Bristol, but couldn't ever find a connection, just like the names you listed. Perhaps that would be the parish to focus on, since there are at least two records of a Worley having an ecclesiastical ordinance being performed there.