Author Topic: Census lookups and general help please - Mitchell  (Read 5733 times)

Offline weeaza

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census lookups and general help please - Mitchell
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 30 March 13 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
My first post on RootsChat.
The 1871 census shows Isabella & Margaret Mitchell aged 3 as grandchildren.
Isabella Cummings Mitchell was the illegitimate daughter of Agnes Mitchell b. 5th June 1867 at 88 Main Street Wishaw.
Margaret Gardener Mitchell was the illegitimate daughter of Isabella Mitchell b. 13th April 1867 at the same address.
I think Bella McFarlane aged 13 on the 1881 census is the above Isabella.
James McFarlane & Agnes Mitchell didn't marry until 1871.
James & Agnes were related before they were married. James being a grandson of George McFarlane & Ann Machan and Agnes a great granddaughter. I think this made them 1st cousins 1 x removed.
George McFarlane & Ann Machan were my 5 x great grandparents.

Hope this helps,
Steven

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 31 March 13 04:39 BST (UK) »
Also, Forfarian has given you excellent advice (as always). Get the 1855 death certificate for David.
No burial records for him here, it's too early but, among other good infor on the certificate, it will give his place of burial.
[/quote]

I couldn't have said that better myself. Funny, after all the years I have been doing this I have never come across an 1855 death certificate. What a wealth of information.

It is quite faint and hard to read. Am I allowed to post a couple of portions of it to see if someone can decipher what a couple of the words say??

I can make out that David was a Tailor but there is something in brackets after that I can't make out. Also his place of birth I can't make out the first word and then it says County Derry, Irealand and then I can't make out how many years in Wisahw. His cause of death was Phthisis which I believe is Tuberculosis. It says he was buried in Cambusnethan New Church Yard although it looks like "Camnethan". The informant was his brother Thomas.

Kindest regards,
Liz
P.S. Lodger, the most valuable thing I possess is this Family Weed Garden and you have contributed so much to it already that you probably already own it, no need to leave it to you in my will ;D ;D
Baxter: Lanarkshire, Slamannan
Jordan: Lanarkshire, Staffordshire
McFarlane: Lanarkshire
Mitchell: Ireland to Scotland, Canada & New Zealand
Farrell: Lanarkshire, Ireland, New York
Fagan: Lanarkshire, Ireland
Hogg: Lanarkshire, Ireland

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 31 March 13 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
My first post on RootsChat.
The 1871 census shows Isabella & Margaret Mitchell aged 3 as grandchildren.
Isabella Cummings Mitchell was the illegitimate daughter of Agnes Mitchell b. 5th June 1867 at 88 Main Street Wishaw.
Margaret Gardener Mitchell was the illegitimate daughter of Isabella Mitchell b. 13th April 1867 at the same address.
I think Bella McFarlane aged 13 on the 1881 census is the above Isabella.
James McFarlane & Agnes Mitchell didn't marry until 1871.
James & Agnes were related before they were married. James being a grandson of George McFarlane & Ann Machan and Agnes a great granddaughter. I think this made them 1st cousins 1 x removed.
George McFarlane & Ann Machan were my 5 x great grandparents.

Hope this helps,
Steven

Hi Steven, welcome aboard. I knew about Isabella Cummings Mitchell being illegitimate and wondered about pursuing the McFarlane line and then I had the thought that although her father was not my blood relative he was her "father" and that made him "my family". Then when I found James McFarlane and Jane Prentice and realised that James and William were brothers, well that does now make the McFarlanes blood relatives.

So, James is not only my 3 x Great Grand Uncle, he is also my 4 x Great Grandfather.

George and Ann are also my 5 x Great Grandparents

Regards,
Liz

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 31 March 13 08:02 BST (UK) »
Liz,  I hope you spell my name correctly in your will  ;D

THOMAS MITCHELL, shoemaker, Wishaw, aged 55 years, married.
Parents - Thomas Mitchell & Jane (maiden surname unknown).
Buried in the old churchyard of Cambusnethan on 20th January 1874.

Also, Forfarian has given you excellent advice (as always). Get the 1855 death certificate for David.
No burial records for him here, it's too early but, among other good infor on the certificate, it will give his place of burial.

This is interesting. I have Thomas's death certificate and it gives his parents names as Thomas Mitchell and Jane Mitchell maiden surname is blank. His son Alexander was present. When I look at Thomas's wife Isabella's death certificate is also has Alexander present.
Thomas's mothers name was Agnes McCluskey, which is correct on his brother David's death certificate. Could this just be an error as Isabella's mother was Jane.
Liz

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 March 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
It is quite faint and hard to read. Am I allowed to post a couple of portions of it to see if someone can decipher what a couple of the words say??
Yes. You can also contact Scotland's People and ask for a re-scan if it is hard to read.

I can make out that David was a Tailor but there is something in brackets after that I can't make out.

Could be journeyman, or master, or retired.

His cause of death was Phthisis which I believe is Tuberculosis.
Yes.

It says he was buried in Cambusnethan New Church Yard although it looks like "Camnethan".
It's not unusual for Cambusnethan to be abbreviated to Cam'nethan.

The informant was his brother Thomas.
So you can be pretty confident about the accuracy of the information, especially relating to his parents and birthplace.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 31 March 13 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Forfarian, you are an absolute wealth of knowledge and help.

From your reply I think you were correct with Journeyman. Does that mean he was a travelling tailor??

Offline Drop Bear

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 31 March 13 09:01 BST (UK) »
This is where he was born if someone could decipher

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 31 March 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
From your reply I think you were correct with Journeyman. Does that mean he was a travelling tailor??

Yes, it's journeyman, and no, it doesn't mean he was necessarily a travelling tailor.

The word journey is from French journée which means something like a day's worth or a day's duration.

The English word journey was originally derived from the distance you could travel in a day.

A journeyman is a man who has completed an apprenticeship in a craft, and is employed by a master by the day, hence the use of the word journey, though by the 19th century many craftsmen would have been employed by the week rather than by the day. Some young journeymen did travel and take employment elsewhere, but many did not, preferring to stay in their own home areas; or they might travel for a few years and then return home, a bit like young people working their way round the world in this day and age.

After working as a journeyman for a few years, many a craftsmen would move on to set up his own business as a master, and would then employ other journeymen and employ and train apprentices.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 31 March 13 09:27 BST (UK) »
This is where he was born if someone could decipher

Looks like B - e/o - r/v - a/e/o - r/v - a - l - e/u/y - I could read it as Borevale, or Bevovaly, or a number of other interpretations. The only remotely similar name listed at http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/parish_list?CCC=LDY is Bovevagh, but the last two letters on the certificate do not look like 'gh' to me. Also, it may refer to a townland rather than a parish - you could check the list of townlands in each parish on GENUKI to see if there is a matching one. Maybe a clearer scan would help?