Author Topic: The Marriage of Robert Hutchinson, Larne County Antrim  (Read 3692 times)

Offline macbun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Marriage of Robert Hutchinson, Larne County Antrim
« on: Saturday 30 March 13 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
Can anyone help with a date, place for this marriage. (Also I really need to confirm brides pre wedding surname if possible)
The groom would have been Robert Hutchinson, bride would have been Jane (Jeannie) Birth surname Kerr, first marriage surname Simpson.
I have them in the 1911 census in main street Larne, the census shows that they had been married ten years
Here's the link
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Larne/Main/195692/
They also appear as married at the same location in 1901. So i am thinking that year of marriage was prior to (and including 1901). Sorry I have no exact date of birth for the bride or groom. However taken from the census, it would make her roughly 34 at time of marriage

The bride is originally from just outside Derry City, but I think the wedding took place in County Antrim.
As usual , thanks in advance.
McLaughlin (Ballycastle, Omagh, Holywood). Kerr (Derry), Simpson (Antrim) Maguire (Fermanagh)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The Marriage of Robert Hutchinson, Larne County Antrim
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 13 09:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a marriage in the Civil Registration District of Larne in 1900 for a Robert Hutchinson and an Ann Jane Kerr that might be a possibility. References are Oct-Dec 1900 volume 1 page 845.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 March 13 09:49 GMT (UK) »
The online civil registration index covers this period (Northern Ireland counties up to 1921)- search for bride and groom separately then cross-reference results to find matching details needed to order the marriage certificate.
Possible marriage- Robert Hutchinson m.(Oct./Dec.1900 Larne reg. dist. volume1 page 845) Ann Jane Kerr.
SNAP!
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 March 13 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Given the details in the 1911 census record, is a speculative bet for the first marriage an Ann Jane Courtney to William Hugh Kerr in St. Anne's CoI in 1891 (rather than Simpson)? Worth banking for the moment.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 March 13 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Based on gaffy's find there's a possible death registration-
William Hugh Kerr, age 25, Apr./June 1894 Belfast registration district volume 1 page 150

Added- 1911 shows child named Courtney Hutchinson (think this is what gaffy meant by "Given the details in the 1911 census record"). 1911 census also shows Jane born Co. Antrim not Derry.

1901 shows Jane born "Ireland" on the transcript but looking at the original image it seems as though 'Co.Antrim, Ireland' was meant to be the birthplace of all members of the household.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Larne/Main_Street/996022/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 March 13 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
  Hutchinson /Kerr marriage took place in Carrickfergus Methodist Church.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 March 13 10:48 GMT (UK) »

PRONI will?

Hutchinson Ann Jane of Curran Street Larne county Antrim widow died 10 February 1942 Probate Belfast 6 May to Jeannie Gingles married woman and Courtney Hutchinson engineer. Effects £931 17s.

Need to send off for it, though...

Offline macbun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 March 13 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much to those who replied.
Gaffy, can I just ask you, having never sent off for a will before. Is there likely to be much more info contained within? Addresses of the probate people etc.
And to order, is it the same as just ordering death/marriage/birth certs etc. Would you know the cost?
thanks in advance.
McLaughlin (Ballycastle, Omagh, Holywood). Kerr (Derry), Simpson (Antrim) Maguire (Fermanagh)

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 March 13 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much to those who replied.
Gaffy, can I just ask you, having never sent off for a will before. Is there likely to be much more info contained within? Addresses of the probate people etc.
And to order, is it the same as just ordering death/marriage/birth certs etc. Would you know the cost?
thanks in advance.

Ah, that's the rub, a will can contain lots or virtually nothing, if you have a look on the PRONI website at examples of wills they have actually digitised (just search on a surname and choose one where the image of the will is available) you will see that some are a single page terse instruction to the executors, whilst others stretch across multiple pages and give extensive detail of childrens' names etc.

It really is a gamble. The following link explains the PRONI search service, the last will I requested (August 2012) was £15.50, plus 44p postage (I simply emailed them the details from their wills index record):

http://www.proni.gov.uk/index/about_proni/freedom_of_information/proni_search_service.htm