Author Topic: Has something changed on Anc**** or is it me  (Read 3299 times)

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Has something changed on Anc**** or is it me
« on: Monday 01 April 13 02:28 BST (UK) »
Have worldwide coverage on Ancestry but am unable to access records from America, I have done this in the past..census records and deaths etc.... but now it is hopeless..getting streams of English records which take hours to go through, can't get much from immigration records etc..or am I doing something wrong..can anyone help with this
Tahnk you in anticipation...Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Has something changed on Anc**** or is it me
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 13 02:32 BST (UK) »
Unless it is a temporary glitch (and they do have them from time to time), try double -checking your account details. I had an instance where I changed my access from one month to the next, got charged, but it didn't upgrade for some reason. One e-mail fixed that.  :)
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 13 03:45 BST (UK) »
Have worldwide coverage on Ancestry but am unable to access records from America, I have done this in the past..census records and deaths etc.... but now it is hopeless..getting streams of English records which take hours to go through, can't get much from immigration records etc..or am I doing something wrong..can anyone help with this
Tahnk you in anticipation...Patvp

I think Ancestry believe they are doing you a favour by providing you with records from the country that your ISP is located presumably the UK.   I subscribed to UK Ancestry and every time I log on it changes to the Australian version of Ancestry (obviously I live in Australia) and brings up mountains of Australian records the same way you are getting English records.  That's all well and good except I don't have any relatives in Australia except immediate family and I find it really frustrating that I have to wade through all these records until I get to the UK ones.  I subscribed to UK Ancestry for a reason! 

Sorry, not helping but I can understand your frustration!

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 13 03:51 BST (UK) »
That's a good point. When you do a search, look down near the bottom, there is an option for making a particular country's records the priority. I have the same continual problem being in Australia too.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 13 03:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Which Ancestry are you logged in to?  UK or AU, and are you using the Old Search?
If UK then check on search page if any little boxes are ticked. If you log in through UK for example you can tick a box to only produce UK results.

Andy

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 April 13 04:33 BST (UK) »
I try to log onto Uk but it immediately diverts to Australia.  It's not only searching but all the other information/ links that are directed to Australian records that are useless to me which I had for Uk before they changed it.   :(

Caroline

Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline patvp1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 April 13 05:09 BST (UK) »
Hi - And thank you all for that info, looks as though we all have the same problem, I live in Australia but my main searches are in the U.K. and like others on this forum had  problems being continually switched to Australian records, did fix it, but am not sure how ?? LOL, it must be a couple of years since I accessed the U.S. records which I have recorded on my tree and now, not, able to find the blessed things again and am also finding the same with Canadian records...wish these BIG companies would get their act together and not tell us what they THINK is good for us  ??? Sorry just having a rant, am probably too old (75) to keep up with changes  ;D
All the best Patvp
Hall (Dunblane) Robertson (Clackmannanshire) Sneddon (Clackmannan) Cramb (Perthshire) Marshall (Clackmmannan) Michie (Clackmannan) Stewart (Perthshire) Ferguson (Perthshire) McKay (Perthshire) McLaren (Perthshire) Moir (Perthshire)
West Yorkshire - Allott, Riley, Charlesworth, Barker, Harper, Rubery, Darlison, Vaughan.

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 April 13 05:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

If you try to login to Ancestry UK and they redirect you to Ancestry AU scroll down to the bottom and you will find a dropdown menu of their other sites, you can select UK (or United States or Canada etc) that way.  I also find that by not actually logging out I usually have no trouble accessing UK.

Andy

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 April 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Aw Andy...you are a life saver!  Talk about can't see the wood for the trees but I have never noticed the drop down button before.  I just clicked on it and it's taken me to UK Ancestry!!

Thank you so much!!

:D :D :D :D :D
Caroline