Author Topic: MARGARET S BROOKS  (Read 4090 times)

Offline Sylvia Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MARGARET S BROOKS
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 April 13 15:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,   Just popped out for lunch.  Can't believe you've almost done it.    The information is on my Gt Grandmother's headstone in Peterhead.    This is so exciting!

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 April 13 17:06 BST (UK) »
Helen Gordon Bruce/Sinclair had a sister Margaret J Bruce born 1874 - its possible that Margaret was the Aunt Mrs Margaret Moir living in Massachusetts 1925.  Do you know if Margaret married a Moir in Scotland after 1891 ?

Did Charles and Helen have any further females after 1901. If not Mrs Broar in Walkersville would be either Mary Bruce, Christina R Brooks or a married name for the Margaret S Brooks you are looking for. ?  Cannot see a death record for Margaret S Brooks in 1928 which is a mystery. ?

Perhaps Mrs Broar is not quite the right transcription, will  see if I can copy and get it onto
Deciphering & Recognition Help - had another look and it could be Divar/Dewar or something like that  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Sylvia Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 April 13 17:21 BST (UK) »
On the headstone for Helen Gordon (1) brooks, (2) Sinclair, nee Bruce it is inscribed Erected by Helen
G Bruce in loving memory of her dear husband George Brooks who died 18 October 1894 aged 27 years also our daughter Margaret S Brooks who died at Windsor, Ontario 29 Dec1928 aged 35 Years.  I have no information on a marriage for Margaret Brooks but it might be the only solution.  I will do a search at this end tonight and see if I can find a marriage.   Many thanks again for your assistance will let you know if I find anything.   Kindest regards, Sylvia.

Offline Sylvia Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 01 April 13 17:43 BST (UK) »
Since I know the rest of the family I can only assume she is the lady you write of.  I will do some research after tea and see what I can find out from your splendid information and hard work.  You must be a wizard at this.   I will keep you posted.  Many, many thanks.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 01 April 13 18:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia and Sandra  :)

There is a death showing on 29 Dec 1929 for a Margaret SUMMERS Dewar, born in Scotland on April 26 1894 (do you have an exact date of birth for her Syvia? Also with her middle initial of 'S', what did this stand for?).

This Margaret's parents are showing as: John Brooks and Nellie Bruce. I know her father was George, but maybe mistakes on reporting as does happen?

Showing as having lived in Ontario/Canada for 3 years which I think fits with what you have Sandra?

Her husband a William DEWAR, living at 128 Victoria Road in Walkerville in Ontario at the time of her death. Buried at Windsor Grove Cemetery.

Added: She died from LEBAR pneumonia, contributed by suffering from influenza.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sylvia Paterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 01 April 13 18:14 BST (UK) »
Monica and Sandra, I think you may have cracked it.   I guess she must have married in Canada then.   So the person trying to trace us must have been her daughter.   What a shame to miss such an opportunity.    Many, many thanks I am well impressed.   One mystery solved.   

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 01 April 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
That fits with the description on the border crossing which got transcribed as Mrs Brora. Its more like Dewar.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,641946.msg4888039/topicseen.html#new

Thanks Monica a new pair of eyes always helps. Got bogged down looking for Mrs Brora  ::)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 01 April 13 18:29 BST (UK) »
Sandra, from your clip there, and with what we now have, agree, think it does look like Dewar.

Can't see the marriage in Ontario though.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 01 April 13 18:33 BST (UK) »
...that is because Margaret and William married in Scotland in 1917  ;) Certainly your family, Sylvia. The marriage took place in Old Kilpatrick, Dumbartonshire. Margaret was 23 yrs old and working as a sewing machine inspector at the time of her marriage. Willliam was an iron driller.

Monica