Author Topic: John Buchanan, Leather Cutter / Harness Maker, Strabane (1800s)  (Read 3296 times)

Offline craig.buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Buchanan, Leather Cutter / Harness Maker, Strabane (1800s)
« on: Monday 01 April 13 13:54 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information on a John Buchanan, resident in Strabane in the first half of the 1800s.  Married to Margaret Arbuckle, he would appear to have been the father of at least four children – Eliza Jane Buchanan, born in or around 1828, and who travelled to the United States in her teens, Margaret Buchanan, born 1830, Isabella Buchanan, born 1831, and George, my great-great-great-grandfather, for whom we have no specific dates.  The three girls were each baptised in the 1st Strabane Presbyterian Church, and descendants of Eliza Jane suggest that the family was based at 31 Market Street (then Back Street) Strabane, where John ran a harnessing business.  George, in turn, was a saddler, according to the details on his 1853 marriage to Eliza Park.

Does anyone have any information on file regarding either John or George?  I am 90% certain they are father and son, but have to concede that I’m basing that on nothing more than strong circumstantial evidence.  Failing a birth registration for George listing both his parents, I am stuck.  Meanwhile I have no dates at all for John, nor anything further back in terms of family.  Any help and/or suggestions would be gratefully received.

Craig Buchanan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Buchanan, Leather Cutter / Harness Maker, Strabane (1800s)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 13 14:02 BST (UK) »
"The Will of George Buchanan late of Strabane County Tyrone Saddler deceased who died 12 March 1870 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of Eliza Buchanan of Strabane aforesaid Widow one of the Executors." See www.proni.gov.uk to view details
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline craig.buchanan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 April 13 04:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Not only did it yield George's will, but it also allowed me to go back a generation, and see the more limited will (or at least the division of the estate) left by his father John.  Now I have dates of death for both of them, which is a great help. :-)

Offline D.Foley

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 October 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Sir,

Following a request from Craig Buchanan, I have a Grandfather Clock that i believe belonged to George Buchanan and has his name on the clock face.

It was made by Wilson who was a clockmaker in the 1700's - 1800's. The Clock is an Irish made clock that may have been made for the Saddler in the Back Street.

If you would like to contact me please email me on (*)

Regards 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline caterst

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 April 16 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hello,
my son-in-law is descended from George Buchanan. I am interested in the clock mentioned by D Foley. Can D Foley tell me if the clock is available for sale, and is it in Ireland?
Aileen

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 April 16 13:02 BST (UK) »
George Buchanan, Strabane, clockmaker c1785-c1795 according to Watchmakers & Clockmakers of the World, volume 2.

Not sure what this means-
It was made by Wilson who was a clockmaker in the 1700's - 1800's. The Clock is an Irish made clock that may have been made for the Saddler in the Back Street.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!