Author Topic: MOCARD ~help with surname  (Read 5132 times)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
MOCARD ~help with surname
« on: Monday 01 April 13 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been researching my Luce family for quite a while, my 6x Gt Gdmother Mary Rowe nee Luce
and her sister Sarah Luce both born St Stephens by Saltash. Parents: Thomas Luce and Ann Eleanor Bentley.

Sarah Luce married William Traill 1790 SS by S, he was bap. 1749 parents William Traill and Mary ?

I have recently purchased a will of a John Mocard who died 1807 aged 83, in which both ladies were beneficiaries described as 'nieces'.

I have found two marriages (in St Stephens by Saltash) of John Mocard, 1st: 1749 to Sarah Monk, 2nd marriage 1781 to a Mrs Mary Traill.

I can't find any birth record for John Mocard, can anyone help?

Has anyone come across this surname before?

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mocard ~help with surname
« Reply #1 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:04 BST (UK) »
A Mr Mocard of Saltash paid 4 shillings and 5 shillings Land Tax in 1799.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

Think thats my man!

Thank-you

claire

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:16 BST (UK) »
the online record office search has 3 hits for the surname

http://crocat.cornwall.gov.uk/DServe/searchpage.htm

In one, John Mocard, wine merchant of Saltash, is an executor and the 2 other two are later. The conveyance of 1824 looks complicated, but mentions Trails in Stonehouse. It may be worth getting a copy of the document from Truro.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:16 BST (UK) »
A Mr Mocard of Saltash paid 4 shillings and 5 shillings Land Tax in 1799.

We see an Ester Mocard  a mantua [gown] maker takes on as apprentice  Susan Dicey in 1724.

Some further research shows that the name is definitely French in origin.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:22 BST (UK) »
[no title]  X528/1-2  22 and 23 November 1824

Contents:
Conveyance (Lease and Release) £70 + £280 = £350 (v) - (i) and (ii).
(i) Mary Balfour Trail, East Stonehouse, Devon, spinster.
(ii) Isabella Sarah Traill (same place) spinster.
(iii) Jn. Buller of Morval, Esq., eldest son and heir at law of Jn. Buller of Morval, Esq., deed.
(iv) Sarah Coombe, Judd Street, Brunswick Square, spinster.
(v) Thos. Sanders, Stoke Damarel, Devon, Esq. Capt. H.M. Royal Navy.
(vi) Wm. Rich. Berryman, Stoke Damarel, Devon.
(Recital Wm. Traill became seised of premises below by conveyance (Lease and Release) of 24 and 25 March 1779 between (a) Jn. Buller (deed.) (b) Jn. Mocard, gent. deed. Also by feoffment of 24 October 1806 from Jn. Mocard (above) to Wm. Traill, gent. Will of Wm. Traill 16 January 1808. To (iv) annuity of £15 charged on premises below. To testator's two dtrs., (i) and (ii) estate in Cornwall (comprising premises) to be equally divided between them. If (i) and (ii) died under 21 (which they did not), premises to go to testator's cousin Chas. Stuart of George Street, New Town, Edinburgh. Will proved P.C.C. 15 March 1809. (v) became purchaser of premises at public survey on 25 March 1822 for £350 paying deposit of £70. (iv) to join in deed freeing premises from payment of annuity. (iii) party to conveyance for remove all doubts of validity (through alterations and interlineations) of deed of 25 March 1779).
(i) (ii) (iii) (iv) - (v) - house and gdn. in Fore Street, Saltash. Formerly in possession of one Duggan, then Jn. Mocard, then Wm. Traill, then (v). Bounded east and west lands of Jn. Buller, south with Backlane, north with Fore Street.
Witnesses include Benjamin Parham and Rd. Rodd of Devonport, attorney.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi

I have been researching my Luce family for quite a while, my 6x Gt Gdmother Mary Rowe nee Luce
and her sister Sarah Luce both born St Stephens by Saltash. Parents: Thomas Luce and Ann Eleanor Bentley.

Sarah Luce married William Traill 1790 SS by S, he was bap. 1749 parents William Traill and Mary ?

I have recently purchased a will of a John Mocard who died 1807 aged 83, in which both ladies were beneficiaries described as 'nieces'.

I have found two marriages (in St Stephens by Saltash) of John Mocard, 1st: 1749 to Sarah Monk, 2nd marriage 1781 to a Mrs Mary Traill.

I can't find any birth record for John Mocard, can anyone help?

Has anyone come across this surname before?

claire

Elsewhere we learn that Mary Traill was nee Mocard and that the Traills came from Kirkwall in Orkney.

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
The following ties Ester Mocard in via Bently.

"Happy to share anything about this mystery! John Mocard died in 1809 in Saltash Cornwall and names Mary Boland as his late niece and George Bently as his nephew - no mention as to where George Bently is living or where the 2 children of his late niece could be living. John Mocard leaves everything to his niece Sarah Traill nee Luce of Stoke Damerel Devon and one of Sarah's sisters, Mary Rowe nee Luce of Saltash receives money - other siblings of Sarah's receive nothing. Mother of Sarah & Mary Luce is Ann Eleanor Bently. Can't find Ann Eleanor Bently's birthplace,birthdate or parents - she is thought to have been born around 1745 or so.
Luce family lived in Saltash for at least 3 centuries. Checked IGI and Isaac Bently married Esther Mocard (maybe sister to John) in 1745 in London".

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 01 April 13 19:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Trails in Stonehouse are the daughters of William Traill and Sarah Luce.

Thankyou for your searching and help, many of these names appear in the wills that I have for this family, be it as a beneficiary or as executor.

I had thought of a French connection (Mocquard), but not sure where to find records.

Esther Mocard's burial I think is on familysearch about 1847 Westminster

claire