Author Topic: Buried Glasgow Necropolis  (Read 17457 times)

Offline radnor37

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Buried Glasgow Necropolis
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I have a kin buried in Eastern Necropolis in Glasgow....do you know of any records of this cemetery that are found online so I could check to find him there?
I see a partial list online of Southern, in which my gggrandmother is buried, but she is not on that, so I would also love to find the records for that one also....do I have to go to Mitchel to get those records?

radnor37

Offline Jimster

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 March 11 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Radnor
Many of the headstones at the Eastern Necropolis (also known as Janefield cemetery) have been photographed by memento-mori.

There is charge of £5 for a copy of the photo sent by email

Index for Janefield http://www.memento-mori.co.uk./32.pdf

Jim

Offline radnor37

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 April 11 22:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you Jim, this has been very helpful information
Radnor37

Offline Scotchegg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 March 14 15:39 GMT (UK) »
The Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society have photographed and transcribed all the stones in the Glasgow Necropolis.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 16 March 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
The Glasgow & West of Scotland Family History Society have photographed and transcribed all the stones in the Glasgow Necropolis ...

... and the results are available for sale in the form of a CD. The index is very amateurish - you can search only on surnames, there are no soundex options, no options to filter by given name or a range of dates, and it returns all references to the exact surname you type in. This is pretty annoying if you are looking for a name with variable spelling, or a very common name. There are 226 references to Smith, for instance, and if the one you are interested in is No 226, you have to click 'next' 226 times to get to it! But provided you either have an unusual name to look for, or a lot of patience, you get a transcription and at least one photograph of the stone. And it certainly beats having no information at all.

Of course this is only a record of what is transcribed on stones and still legible; there will be many thousands buried there who don't have a stone.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.