Author Topic: RIDGE family tree (Scotland & Ireland)  (Read 6429 times)

Offline RIDGE

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: RIDGE family tree (Scotland & Ireland)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 April 13 17:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply. Sorry for delay but doing a bit more investigating into Glen/Glynn etc. as advised.
First of all, Mary Glen recorded as 1st wife on Statutory Death Record in 1892-informant was the widow Catherine Ridge. On Mary Ridge Statutory Death Record in 1878, it says married to Joseph Ridge and he is the informant and is says widower and present. It also says Mary Ridge's parents names. The only problem is I am struggling with the names. The father looks like Nardie/Hardie ? GLEN and a farmer and the mother is also Mary Glen(m.s Gorshaw?).The mother is deceased.
I have attatched 2 documents with this email, perhaps you might be better at deciphering the surnames.

I also have the marriage certificate for Joseph's 2nd marriage and it definitely says father:Peter Ridge(deceased) and mother:MARY Ridge(m.s.Welsh). The fact that Joseph is listed on the 2nd marr.cert.as widower confirms that he was married before.

As for the child Mary Ridge, I can't find her after the 1891 Scotland census. Checked for marriages for a Mary Ridge and nothing ??? Spotted the 1899 marriage in Boston you mentioned-age 21 and sounds feasible as I've got her born abt.1877(age 4 on 1881 census).Also found another(possible older sister) called Bridget Ridge who is age 28 born 1875 and married Boston 1903. Parents listed as Joseph Ridge and Mary Glynn. Also spotted few entries for a Mary Ridge passenger to U.S., so maybe that's where she went.

As for the 1869 Australia marr.,I'm not sure. The birth year looks good at 1848 but the year 1869 would mean their ages would be 25 and 21 and I don't think Mary's father's name looks like Bernardi. What do you think? Have a look at the certs. :)

I have found about 3 Civil reg.marriages for a Mary Glynn in 1869.Two for Galway area and one for Mayo. NO spouses or parents named :'( Also found  a few Mary Ridge born 1877/1878 Galway!!
I keep coming back to Ireland because two census records say Joseph born IRELAND. Although many Irish did emigrate.

Do you know how to check probate records for PETER RIDGE listed on Family search? Wonder if that would mention a son or wife etc. Two certs. say he is a farmer. I know he's deceased by 1881. Still can't find anything linking Peter to a WELSH surname. ???

Will keep searching. Thanks for tip about Glynn/Glen. My tree is taking me round the globe and it's not the only thing spinning! ;D

Screenshots removed- you may only post a small portion of a certificate for deciphering purposes

Offline RIDGE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 25 April 13 12:27 BST (UK) »
Just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to Milliepede for helping me find a missing marriage,which I thought was in Ireland/Scotland but it turned up in....Australia. Looked for it for ages and couldn't have found it without your help. Now in touch with new relations in Canada so good work and thanks for all your help. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 08:27 BST (UK) »
Ridge, just wanted to add this on your main post - don't think I have seen it come up on the other threads either.

I wondered whether this was a sibling for Mary https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FPBD-ZPX  If connected, it may well give you the area in Ireland where Mary was born/from. There is a later entry for a marriage in the same place, again for a possible sibling https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGX3-W3L

Note the further spellling variant of Glennon on these entries  ::) There will be many, as always for many names.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RIDGE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks MonicaL for tip on surname variation. Not sure if it's a sibling, still researching but I'm open to the idea of a name change i.e. Glen to Glynn to either Glennon or McGlynn! She died age30(1878) so born 1848.
I do have Mary Glen's(Glynn) mother's maiden name. Have you seen this post dated 30/4/2013?
MARY GLEN-Can you read her maiden name or cause of death?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:20 BST (UK) »
Which post is this? Can you add the link? I can see this other thread www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,644483.0.html

Monica

Have you seen this post dated 30/4/2013?
MARY GLEN-Can you read her maiden name or cause of death?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:35 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 May 13 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey  :)

Agree with the previous comments such as below:

I agree with the comments made - Gorman and Phthisis pulmonalis (TB)

Annette

Monica