Author Topic: Kirkby Chapel, Walton = St. Chads, Kirkby  (Read 5117 times)

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kirkby Chapel, Walton = St. Chads, Kirkby
« on: Saturday 06 April 13 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hello

Just want to check that I'm looking at the appropriate records.
I've seen references to "Kirkby Chapel, Walton" for baptisms, marriages and burials is this church the same as "St. Chads, Kirkby"? I've seen some websites that seem to use both descriptions but they do appear to be miles apart and indeed in different parishes.

If they are the same - does anyone know why?
If they are different is there another name for the Chapel in Walton?

Many thanks

Neil
Looking for the Spencer/Culshaw link in the Knowsley/Huyton area c. 1800

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kirkby Chapel, Walton = St. Chads, Kirkby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 April 13 14:31 BST (UK) »
This, from GenUKI, might help to explain:

KIRKBY, a township-chapelry in Walton-on-the-Hill parish, Lancashire; on the Liverpool and Bury railway, 7˝ miles NNE of Liverpool.

WALTON-ON-THE-HILL, a village and a township in West Derby district, and a parish partly also in Ormskirk district, Lancashire.
The parish contains also Everton, Kirkdale, Bootle-cum-Linacre, Fazakerley, Kirkby, Simonswood, and Formby townships; includes considerable part of Liverpool borough; and is ecclesiastically divided into 36 sections, one of which is Walton-Breck in W. township.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 April 13 18:13 BST (UK) »
Hiya Neil...what exactly are you looking for ?  13 Spencer / Culshaw marriages on
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
1781 and then 1818 are around the 1880 period you are looking for
1871 at St Cuthbert, Halsall, Lancashire -William Culshaw from Ormskirk/Eleanor Spencer -Halsall
1818 at St Peter/Paul Ormskirk,Lancs -Harry Spencer to Jane Culshaw - both from Ormskirk

post the names of the people you are looking for - we may be able to find them
allan
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 April 13 18:17 BST (UK) »
baptism 17th july 1796 at Kirkby Parochial Chapel
Thomas Culshaw son of Thomas Culshaw and Ann
born 3rd June 1796

is this the type of parish record you are looking for ??

allan

might be easier for you
http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/cgi-bin/mkindx.cgi?parish=Liverpool&type=District&community=Kirkby
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 April 13 10:51 BST (UK) »
Many thanks KGarrad - looks as if it is the same church (which helps!)

And thank-you Allan. I've been using the Lancs website trying to cross reference info to try and build up a picture of a particular family. Henry Culshaw (b. 1798 of Burscourgh, Ormskirk) married an Amelia Spencer (b. 1791 of Knowsley) in 1824 and their offspring I can see baptised/buried in St. Chads (and indeed can also see some MIs/Photographs on a wonerful church website) but it's the families of Henry and Amelia I'm attempting to piece things together for.

I believe Amelia was born to William and Ellen, and had a range of siblings baptised at St. Chads before moving for more siblings appearing in Huyton/Knowsley, including Amelia. Though for some events (burials) they appear to return to their former church.

Questions in my mind is whether there was still a family connection to St. Chads or indeed it was custom to bury a child in the church to which they were baptised OR indeed I'm looking at two families? Though I can see one child that was baptised in Huyton but buried in St. Chads/Walton - the ages match (George Spencer bap. 1787, bur 1789 ) and indeed all the St.Chads/Walton records reference in a Huyton abode, so I'm pretty confident it's the same family.

So you can probably see why I was asking thr original question....if Kirkby chapel wasn't St. Chads but indeed another site closer to Huyton it would start to fall into place. (Not that Kirkby and Huyton are a million miles away but it's still 2 hours on foot).

best wishes

Neil

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 April 13 11:15 BST (UK) »
On M57 - Huyton and Kirkby are next to each other on Junctions ..so probably half an hour by foot ?
between Stockbridge village junction and Kirkby Industrial estate junction is about 2-3 miles ?
Then again - boundaries have changed over the years ...but all in all I wouldn`t think they were 2 hours away by foot
allan

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 April 13 11:48 BST (UK) »
according to "theclegydatabase" site, st chads was a chapelry of Walton until 1748 when it was separated, I doubt the parishioners would have noticed any difference.
such books as I have read suggest that large parishes with many chapelries were not unusual in the north of England, the chapelries having their own curate and operating more or less independently.

I don't know any addresses but it is possible to live on the edge of one parish but be physically nearer to the next parishes' church

Offline Neil_A

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 April 13 12:43 BST (UK) »
Neighbouring motorway junctions yes, but plotting the two churches on google maps gets you c. 2 hours albeit having to cross a motorway which might add some travel time!  ;)

"theclegydatabase" site is interesting thanks for the tip/info.

best

Neil

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 April 13 13:41 BST (UK) »
One last go at this, Huyton church is a parish in its own right, a large church associated with the earl of derby's estate, it was a large parish 7miles by 3 and could have reached the boundary of st chad's.
I wonder about your thoughts of loyalty to the original roots of the family, especially if parents were still there, people walked large distances then and thought little of it.

I wonder if the earl of derby was their employer or not, they may not have been too fond of the
smart church at Huyton