Author Topic: Elizabeth ALDIS burial Hoxne after 1841  (Read 738 times)

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Elizabeth ALDIS burial Hoxne after 1841
« on: Monday 08 April 13 09:58 BST (UK) »
In 1841 Elizabeth is with Robert ALDIS aged 35, a Miller living in Hoxne. She is aged 70, 71 or 78, and if 70 this will be a rounded age. She does not appear in 1851 census

I would like to know (1) any details of her burial, and (2) the street address in 1841 census, unreadable on the page I have access to.

With your valuable help I hope to work out if she is his mother or grandmother. See Elizabeth nee RAFFE below.

My connection is Elizabeth ALDIS (1781-1841), second wife of Anthony EVERRETT (1736-1821). She was 16, he was 62. They were married 23 years before Anthony died, and had 12 children. She is D/of  Robert ALDIS and Elizabeth nee RAFFE, born Stowmarket. Many of Elizabeth and Anthony's children were millers.

Many thanks

SHIRLEY

Offline kmart66

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth ALDIS burial Hoxne after 1841
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 April 13 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi

The address on the 1841 census is Market Street.

I have a burial at St Peter and St Paul, Hoxne for a Robert Aldis on 20 March 1842 age 40 but there is nothing for Elizabeth at the same church, however there is a burial in Stradbroke which is only a couple of miles away for an Elizabeth Aldis 12 Jan 1847 age 79 at All Saints, Stradbroke.

Kevin

PS
I've just checked the 1841 census for an Elizabeth Aldis in Stradbroke and there isn't one listed so could be a good possibility.

Sorry that is Elizabeth Aldous
Brightlingsea families
Martin, Day, Frostick, Salmon

faber est quisque fortunae suae

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 April 13 07:42 BST (UK) »
FreeBMD lists the deaths of 6 Elizabeth ALDIS' between 1841-51.  Comparing these to the Suffolk Burial Index the first 2 1841 & 1842 are infant deaths, the next 2 are Mitford & Norwich RDs (Norfolk),  the Mar 1851 Blything was an infant but I can find no info on the burial in the Plomesgate RD MarQ 1851 Ref 12/228 so it could be your Elizabeth.  Plomesgate RD is adjacent to Hoxne RD.

She could have also gone to live in Norfolk & be one of the two registered there or her death was registered with a slightly different spelling of the name. The Freesearch engine on FindMyPast does not throw up an Elizabeth ALDIS living in the Plomesgate RD in 1841?

K

Offline annes

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 April 13 13:20 BST (UK) »
I checked the Hoxne burial register today at the RO and can confirm that no Elizabeth Aldis (variants) was buried there from 1840 to 1860ish in accordance with Keziah's post above.

Offline elricks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth ALDIS burial Hoxne after 1841 - COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 April 13 08:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks to you both. I am now going to try to 'disprove' the Stradbroke and Plomesgate Elizabeth. Lets hope I fail miserably with one or other....

SHIRLEY