Author Topic: Cain, Kane, of Co. Tyrone  (Read 1935 times)

Offline WilliamKane

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cain, Kane, of Co. Tyrone
« on: Saturday 13 April 13 03:25 BST (UK) »
I was so impressed by the reaction to my first post on here that I've decided to try again with another branch of my family. I'm looking for information on Thomas and Margaret Cain who must have come to Gateshead from Co. Tyrone in about 1840.
They had several children, James and John born in 1826 and presumably twins, William, born 1829 who is my Great, Great Grandfather, Sarah, born 1834, all born in Ireland. Finally there was Margaret who was born in Gateshead in 1839. All dates are approximations. Oh, then there was Ann, born approx 1776. She was Thomas's mother.
Now family lore has it that we're from Cookstown but I have no proof of that, indeed I have no proof that we're from Tyrone, just family lore as I say. Census records merely say Ireland.
I've tried all ways to get "into" Ireland as it were but so far to no avail.
Can anyone help? You'd make me so happy if you could.  :)

Thank you in anticipation.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cain, Kane, of Co. Tyrone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 April 13 08:46 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately these dates are well before the start of civil registration in Ireland and to get further back with resources such as church records (if they exist) you need to know both the family's religion and where they lived (parish if not actual townland).

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline WilliamKane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 13 April 13 14:44 BST (UK) »
We were and are Roman Catholic. The only way I can think of doing this would be through Margaret, who was born here. Her birth certificate may give me more information about her parents. The problem is, I can't find her in the records!  :(

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 13 April 13 15:29 BST (UK) »
It would be nice if you could at least get Margaret Cain's maiden name from her daughter's birth certificate but if they arrived from Ireland around that time it's possible the birth wasn't registered (not having a similar procedure in Ireland might have been one reason, also it was a new thing in England at that time). You've probably already checked other versions of surname such as O'Kane?
Have you tried searching for church records in Gateshead? quite possible they would have baptised their child(ren) there so even if mother's maiden name wasn't recorded at least it would be another record for your family history.

Offline WilliamKane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 April 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
I will try to find Margaret's baptism record at the archives on Tuesday.   :)

Offline WilliamKane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 22:36 BST (UK) »
No luck, I'm afraid. There are no baptism records from that early. I am going to St.Joseph's church to see the priest, whom I know, about a missing volume of baptismal records and so he MAY be able to tell me something.
Anyhow, it looks as though I'll have to assume that we came from Tyrone, Cookstown in fact. The question is, where do THEY keep their records, such as are extant?  Can anyone help? Thomas and Margaret, I have decided, must have left Ireland between 1834 and 1839. They have a daughter on the 1841 census who's aged 7 and born in Ireland and also Margaret who was born c.1839 in England.

Please someone, anyone, help!  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 22:43 BST (UK) »
There are links to lots of resources at the top of the Tyrone board- under church records is a link to R.C. ones-
http://www.from-ireland.net/county/article/R.-C.-Parish-Records%2C-Co.-Tyrone/Tyrone

Offline WilliamKane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I'll give that a try.  :)

Offline WilliamKane

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 16 April 13 23:50 BST (UK) »
Well now, Cookstown baptisms are there starting from 1827. Presuming Sarah was baptised there in 1834 I may be on to something.
Can you tell me how I go about contacting whomsoever it is I contact????  :)