Author Topic: William Bourne of Belper and Burslem 1814  (Read 8271 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: William Bourne of Belper and Burslem 1814
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 April 13 20:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My understanding is:-

Richard Bourne = Rebecca Dodds  and their son William Bourne, was born 1747 Eastwood, Notts he died 3rd October 1823.

William Bourne married Edith Dawes.
15th February 1770 - Marriage Licence Bonds, Nottinghamshire Archdeaconry  Court gives
the following information:-
William Bourne parish of Eastwood, Potter 22 Bachelor and Edith Dawes parish of Greasley
18 spinster of Greasley.
George Dawes is Bond, and Father of Edith.

The children of William Bourne Snr & Edith Dawes:-

William Jnr
Joseph
John
Edward

Still researching this family, think that the Belper Research Site only connects Hugh Bourne &
Bourne of the Potteries because of their religious belief not that they were related by birth.

To which branch of the Bourne family are you connected ?

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 15 April 13 21:42 BST (UK) »
That makes sense, Spendlove.
I did not know that there was pottery going on at Eastwood - no reason that I should have I suppose  :) I used to live at Newthorpe when I was a small child. Did DH Lawrence ever mention pottery? Perhaps I should have paid more attention in English Lit class?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 15 April 13 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information- that has helped 'remove' one of the options!
I am related to the Bournes of Weston and Wybunbury in Cheshire in the 1700s and 1800s- one of whom produced a son who married into the Potteries in Tunstall and Burslem by the mid 1800s- and produced a son a few generations later who was my grandfather- who was himself a primitive Methodist lay preacher and preached at Mow Cop in the 1920s.
His wife- my Nanna, always insisted that her husband was related to the Hugh Bourne family and it has become quite a project for me to research!
It certainly seems that my Bournes and the Hugh Bourne family - and resulting branches- were living and moving in the same neighbourhoods from around 1750 to late 1800s- they must have known each other- i have a dirct ancestor James Bourne who established the Prim methodist Church in Shavington Cum Gresty, Cheshire, following a visit from Hugh Bourne which inspired him so much.
I also have Pointons in my direct line- and if you look at the Hugh Boirne Prim Meth info, one of the earliest meetings for conversions was held at the farm of old Joseph Pointon just on the Cheshire side of Mow Cop.
I also have steeles in my direct line- and Hugh's mother was Ellen Steele- but her father was a yeoman farmer in Cheadle Staffs and my John Steele was a yeoman farmer just across the border at weston, Cheshire.
I am tantalisingly close but just can't make the link!
So you can understand why my ears pricked up when I discovered by chance the mention of the Bournes- with Hugh Bourne- on the Belper site!
As you say- probably just a coincidence- again, the Belper chapel was built by a Bourne after a visit by Hugh Bourne- just as the Shavington Cum Gresty one in Cheshire.
Any ideas gratefully received!
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline chfl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 March 15 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Spendlove and all
I have come across this old post whilst searching for William Bourne, I think he is the Junior you are referring to, as I have his daughter Edith marrying in 1838 to Edmund Sharp    of Sharps pottery in Swadlincote
The will Gardener links to, of William Bourne  Swadlincote, looks to me like that of William Junior, but not sure when he died, even if the will is dated 1819
Spendlove do you have the dates of William Jun (and brothers) births ?
I have not found a marriage for William junior, his wife on the will is Ann some of the children appear to be young at the 1819 date.  Later censii of Edith suggest she was born about 1816, the nearest I have found for her baptism is 1813 Methodist in Stoke & Wolstanton so could be her
Any updates greatly received
Chris 
Fletcher, Wright, King, Bull, Bray,Mee, Quenby, Waldram  Leicestershire
Butler, Lewin, Thurman, Voce  Nottinghamshire
Jackson, Dunnicliff, Cook,White Derbyshire

Offline colbourne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 July 22 07:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for taking the time to have a look at this with me!
Realistically, I think I am going to have to work back William Senior in some way to see if there is a crossover with the Hugh Bourne family tree. It would certainly seem that the Hugh Bourne family have been in the Staffordshire area back as far as Hugh's Gt Grandfather William Bourne who was born in Norton In the Moors c 1667. Hugh's grandfather John Bourne b 1697 Norton was hugely industrious and became a very wealthy farmer, to the point he was able to establish his 5 sons (plus he had 3 daughters) with a good education and sufficient funds for each of them to become Yeoman level by the time they married. Parts of this Bourne family certainly headed towards Manchester in the late 1700s early 1800s to open shops to sell their farming products. They were also quite involved with the mechanics of the mining industry- flint and clay for the pottery inducstry- and at the time of Hugh Bourne's birth in 1772, links were already formed in the Burslem/Tunstall area as I have read accounts of Hugh's mother Ellen going to those areas 'on business'.
I think the only way forward now id to try and trace William Snr back a couple of generations to see where we go- and I will see if any of it tallies with Hugh Bourne's tree. I will try and expand the Hugh Bourne tree sideways for a couple of generations- i have the siblings of Hugh's father but have very little regarding the siblings of Hugh's grandgater or Gt Grandfather.
If you are able to help with the William Bourne Snr in Belper that would be marvellous but I quite understand if you don't!
I wonder who put the info on the Belper Historical and Genealogical site which actually puts Hugh Bourne and William Bourne together??? Just a thought!
Many thanks
Caroline

Hi Caroline
I think we must be related! I am a Bourne living in Australia but coming from the line of the Bourne Pottery clan. I visited Denby some years ago and rang all the local Bournes to see if any were related but none were. One actually said that he changed his name legally to Bourne!

Colin Bourne

Offline Alva Noreen Key

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 August 23 15:47 BST (UK) »
WILLIAM BOURNE (1)born C1748 to a Burslem family = RICHARD BOURNE + wife ANN ROWLEY.
WILLIAM (1) was a Potter in Eastwood(not the only one!  There was also an 'entrepreneur' GERVASE BOURNE, who most likely was related but also a rival) on WILLIAM (1) marriage, he moved to Belper & acquired the Pottery there.
His first born son WILLIAM (2) born 1773 in Belper, but soon moved with his wife HANNAH WALKER to Burslem to manage the BOURNE'S Pottery there.  This WILLIAM(2) died in 1819.  See WILLIAM(2) Will,
dividing the potteries he owned by his death in 1823 (yes his son William died before him) between his surviving sons.   The HUGH BOURNE'S family connection is as yet not proved ---but very likely true-----the'waters' are muddied by relations of RICHARD BOURNE having 2 or more wives...second wives often named their sons the same as the first wife!  Alva

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 25 August 23 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi,

We have different information.

I have William Bourn Bapt. 19th April 1747 at St. Mary's Eastwood, the son of Richard Bourn (a potter)  and Rebecca his wife.

Richard Bourn = Rebecca Dodd.

This couple had many children, one of whom was Gervase Bourn, 2.2.1737 entered as Burn   all Bpts are in Eastwood, Notts.

Images of register on Ancestry.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Alva Noreen Key

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 25 August 23 13:41 BST (UK) »
TO Spendlove
Hello,
Wow you are ahead of me in the research!  I had not been able to find Gervase's father with any certainty.
That confirms my thoughts of why WILLIAM moved to Belper to build his own 'Empire' in potting.
I will take more notice of the misspelling of BOURNE in future---so misleading, with BURN--BORN--BURNE etc.
So you have all you need now?
Regards, ALVA