Author Topic: William Bourne of Belper and Burslem 1814  (Read 8267 times)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Bourne of Belper and Burslem 1814
« on: Sunday 14 April 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
I can see a copy of an agreement at the Derbyshire Record Office dated 1814 between William Bourne of Belper, William Bourne of Burslem, Staffs, John Bourne of Belper and Joseph Bourne of Belper for the co-partnership of a bottle factory at Belper.

I am sure that John Bourne and Joseph Bourne were the brothers of william Bourne of Belper but can anyone tell me what the relationship/family connecction was regarding the stated William Bourne of Burslem, Staffs.

Would really appreciate any snippet of info.

Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)
Wood/Gibbs/Battrick/Fall/Budden-(Dorset)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: William Bourne of Belper and Burslem 1814
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 April 13 17:25 BST (UK) »
Could it be that William in Burslem is son of the other one?
Are these the same people? (click on item 3)
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tic

And  this will?
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~brett/wills/will_wbourne1819.htm
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 April 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you- that is the Will to which I refer.
It is possible that william in Burslem is a son of william in Belper- I will need to dig a bit deeper!
Thank you
Caroline
Roots/Day/Atkins - (Essex/Suffolk/ London)Bourne/Milner/Corden-(Staffs/Shrops/Cheshire)

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 April 13 19:06 BST (UK) »
In that item 3 it refers to "William Bourne the elder of Belper, stone potter, William Bourne the younger of Burslem, Staffordshire, manufacturer of earthenware..."
Doesn't that the elder/the younger usually infer a parent/child relationship? Or is that not totally reliable? Erm, now I am worrying that it is just a relative age thing ???
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 April 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
Thank you- I think you are correct re elder and younger being father and son.
Do you think I am correct in assuming that William the elder (ie the father) was born in Belper area and that maybe his son William moved across to Burslem in conjunction with the pottery industry?

The basis of my enquiry is around 2 factors
1. On the Internet site entitled Belper Derbyshire Historical and Genealogical records, there is a section that highlights specific notable families. One of the families related to the Bourne family- it commences with Hugh Bourne, founder of Primitive Methodism who was born at Ford Hays in North Staffordshire but came across to Belper in the early 1800s and founded the Pottery methodist chapel there, directly opposite the pottery being run by William and his son Joseph. The article immediately links across to another part of the Bourne family re the Belper potters- William Bourne and his son Joseph, very active around the same time that Hugh Bourne was setting up the chapel there later merged into Denby.
2. I have received research recently that indicates that part of my family is directly related to the Belper Bournes - which is news to me as I thought all my Bournes were based in Cheshire and North Staffs/ Tunstall/ Burslem etc. But I also come from a background of staunch primitive Methodists and have for several years attempted to confirm my grandparents belief that we are related to Hugh Bourne and his family. Having seen the info on the Belper Derbyshire site it has excited my interest, hence my queries.
Try as I may I just cannot make the bridge between my Bournes and the Hugh Bourne family- but I would love to know that facts behind the connection on the Belper site that may give me a clue - hence my excitement when I saw William of Belper referring to William of Burslem; together with Hugh Bourne mentioned on the same site.
Fundamentally I am trying to establish some background into the Belper Bournes to see if they link back across to the Bournes in Staffordshire (Hugh Bourne etc)- i have constructed quite a family tree for Hugh Bourne but still have one or two question marks which could be filled by the Belper link.

Does all this make sense?
Any help really appreciated.
Caroline

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 April 13 01:22 BST (UK) »
I suspect that you are so immersed in this that I will not add anything!

The 1819 of William  shows that he owed businesses at Burslem, Gresley and Belper.
Do you know when he was born?

Hugh was born 1772 wasn't he? And his grandfather was John Bourne from Abbey Farm near Milton.
I suppose that if the trees meet up then it would have to be around that point?

I agree that it looks as though William Jnr was the son of William Snr, and since the rest of the brothers appear to be in the Belper area then it looks as though William Jnr had moved to Burslem to look after his father's business. William Snr was in Belper by 1782 at least http://www.belper-research.com/people/slater/thomas%20slater%20history.pdf and a bit before that. I suppose the question is, did he come from the Burslem area? He could have retained a business interest there, or inherited from someone after he moved to Belper? or do you think that the Belper Bournes had been there much earlier?

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 April 13 08:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so very much for taking the time to have a look at this with me!
Realistically, I think I am going to have to work back William Senior in some way to see if there is a crossover with the Hugh Bourne family tree. It would certainly seem that the Hugh Bourne family have been in the Staffordshire area back as far as Hugh's Gt Grandfather William Bourne who was born in Norton In the Moors c 1667. Hugh's grandfather John Bourne b 1697 Norton was hugely industrious and became a very wealthy farmer, to the point he was able to establish his 5 sons (plus he had 3 daughters) with a good education and sufficient funds for each of them to become Yeoman level by the time they married. Parts of this Bourne family certainly headed towards Manchester in the late 1700s early 1800s to open shops to sell their farming products. They were also quite involved with the mechanics of the mining industry- flint and clay for the pottery inducstry- and at the time of Hugh Bourne's birth in 1772, links were already formed in the Burslem/Tunstall area as I have read accounts of Hugh's mother Ellen going to those areas 'on business'.
I think the only way forward now id to try and trace William Snr back a couple of generations to see where we go- and I will see if any of it tallies with Hugh Bourne's tree. I will try and expand the Hugh Bourne tree sideways for a couple of generations- i have the siblings of Hugh's father but have very little regarding the siblings of Hugh's grandgater or Gt Grandfather.
If you are able to help with the William Bourne Snr in Belper that would be marvellous but I quite understand if you don't!
I wonder who put the info on the Belper Historical and Genealogical site which actually puts Hugh Bourne and William Bourne together??? Just a thought!
Many thanks
Caroline

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 15 April 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
The last thing I want to do is drag in another county  ::) but I found this
 http://www.rootschat.com/links/0tip/  page 725
Is that William Snr? It says that he died in 1823, does that fit? And says he was born in Eastwood.

Because of the Wesleyan connection you might get some information from Google Books. If you haven't used that search much then I can give you some guidelines for it - but it comes with a "very distracting" health warning!

Offline queenswood 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 15 April 13 13:39 BST (UK) »
Hi - thank you- that answers a few questions too as I had found a MI to both William and his wife Edith at the Belper Central methodist- and it refers to William dying on 3rd Oct 1823 aged 76- so this must be the william Bourne that you have found which states he was born in Eastwood Notts.
At least that makes William Bourne - the Belper potter- probably NOT the link I was hoping for!
Many many thanks
Caroline