Author Topic: A Ross by any other name ...  (Read 2851 times)

Offline Ross Seeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Caute Non Astute
    • View Profile
A Ross by any other name ...
« on: Saturday 20 April 13 11:53 BST (UK) »
Looking for ancestors of George Ross, born about 1819 Paisley, Scotland, immigrated to New Zealand in 1841. He married Joanna (Annie) Barrie? Hogg, daughter of John and Elizabeth Hogg of Scotland. He died in Greymouth, New Zealand in 1870. Have no further information about Joanna. :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: A Ross by any other name ...
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 April 13 13:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Ross Seeker

This looks a possible entry for Joanna's birth and christening https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1
/XBH1-XXS

A likely sister Margaret https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBH1-H9G

There is this entry showing for a George in Paisely https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTJY-3D4 

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 April 13 13:46 BST (UK) »
Somebody else seems to have Joanna Barrie Hogg in their tree...but this will clash with what you have as they show her marrying a John Kydd in 1847 in Kirkden Angus Scotland -
www.bever-d.demon.co.uk/395.html

This looks to be the entry for one of the children mentioned in the link above https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XBDH-WLG

Monica

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 13 00:32 BST (UK) »
It certainly looks like George Ross' wife couldn't have been the Joanna Barrie Hogg you refer to as she did indeed marry in 1847 and had a son John Hogg Kydd in 1848 (baptism gives Joanna's full name) and a daughter Elizabeth ca.1850 (who gives her mothers full name when she marries and states she is deceased).   Joanna must have died 1850-1851 as her husband John remarried in 1856 and he shown as a widower on 1851 census.    His son John is then living with his mothers family and Elizabeth with an aunt and uncle (think the aunt was her father's sister).

What was the name given for George Ross' wife when he married in NZ?   The way you have worded it looks a little ambiguous i.e. Joanna (Annie) Barrie? Hogg.   There certainly only seems to be one JBH and she remained in Scotland.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 April 13 01:08 BST (UK) »
I note on New Zealand BMD index that the only George Ross who died in 1870 was aged 65 i.e. bc.1805??

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ross Seeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Caute Non Astute
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 26 April 13 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hello Monica

Thank you very much for the information. I have seen the sites you referred to and will attempt to find out more information regarding George's wife. George's daughter was Isabella Rosetta Agnes Ross. She married Richard O'Halloran Ross. When Richard died in 1917, it stated in his obituary that he "married Isabella Rosetta Agnes Ross, daughter of George Ross, Ross-shire, Scotland, and her family were of the Hoggs of Scotland."
Information I gathered from a library in Wanganui stated that George married 'Joanna Barrie (Ann/Annie) Hogg, daughter of John and Elizabeth Hogg.' They were married in Wanganui 30 Dec 1842. They had five children born between 1843 - 1851.

Offline Ross Seeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Caute Non Astute
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 26 April 13 11:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Annette

Thank you for the information. I am not sure who compiled the information regarding George Ross' wife being called Joanna (Ann/Annie) Barrie Hogg. It was on an index card in a library in Wanganui. Initially I had thought that perhaps it had been transcribed and that 'Ann/Annie/Barrie' had been an attempt by the transcriber to 'tease-out' a middle name.
I have seen the New Zealand BDM index with only one George Ross dying in 1870. As the information I had collected stated that he was 'born c1819', there is every possibility that it is the same George Ross that I have. I may well have to order the certificate, even though pre-1875 certificates do not always contain a lot of information. ie, place of birth, parents, etc.
Information from an obituary is the only other source I have for tying George Ross' wife to the Hogg family of Scotland.
Thank you once again.  :)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 April 13 15:40 BST (UK) »
Ross Seeker, you might need to retrace some steps here...Likely George's wife was a Hogg, unlikely she is the same 'Joanna Barrie (Ann/Annie) Hogg, daughter of John and Elizabeth Hogg' that other people may have linked to George Ross. At this stage, I would also not assume that George's wife was actually born in Scotland, she may be first generation New Zealander for example.

Trying to really also confirm whether that 1870 death is George Ross' death could also help. The age alone may indicate that you have to look at this details too again.

Monica

PS: going to move this over to the General Scottish board where people may be able to help further.

Offline Ross Seeker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Caute Non Astute
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 April 13 05:28 BST (UK) »
Having reviewed more of my notes concerning George Ross and his wife I am comfortable to abandon the possibility of it being ‘Joanna Barrie Hogg’ who incidently has parents called John and Elizabeth. An IGI record which confirms more of my ‘Wanganui notes’ has George Ross marrying Ann Hogg, 30 December 1842 in Wanganui, New Zealand. George Ross had five children born in Wanganui, New Zealand, at least two of them having the parents recorded as ‘George and Ann’.
As regards George’s age, my ‘Wanganui notes’ say George had come to New Zealand aboard the ‘Blenheim’. I found a passenger list record for a George Ross, aged 21, blacksmith, from Paisley. The ship had sailed from Clyde 25th August 1840 and arrived at Port Nicholson, New Zealand, 27th December 1840. This would indicate that he was born about 1819, as per notes from Wanganui.
I considered the possibility that Ann Hogg may have been a ‘first generation New Zealander’ and looked up any new arrivals to New Zealand. I found one possible family of Hoggs, so far.

On board the ‘Arab’, which sailed from England 5th June 1841 and arrived at  Port Nicholson, New Zealand 16th October 1841, were the following:
Name, age, occupation

John Hogg, 37, Wright & Turner
Elizabeth Hogg, 39
Ann Hogg, 17, Sempstress (seamstress?)
John Hogg,15, Labourer
Son (unnamed) Hogg, 8

Will follow up this new possibility   ;D