Author Topic: Peaches Workhouse, Ashbourne ... Unwin born 1857  (Read 1444 times)

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Peaches Workhouse, Ashbourne ... Unwin born 1857
« on: Tuesday 23 April 13 08:42 BST (UK) »
I am still trying to obtain more information on my great grandfather CHARLES HENRY UNWIN.
I know that he was born (father unnamed) on 23 Sept 1857, address given as UNION STREET, ASHBOURNE. His mother Annie Unwin of Werrington, Caverswall.
I can find no likely relatives living in Union Street who may have taken Annie in at that time. However, there does seem to be a workhouse  (Peaches Workhouse) in Dig Street at around the time of Charles's birth. Maybe she gave birth here?
Does anyone know if records exsist that may be helpful to me please?
Kind regards
Jill

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Peaches Workhouse, Ashbourne ... Unwin born 1857
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 08:58 BST (UK) »
There are details here of workhouses in Ashbourne:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Ashbourne/

It says that few records survive!
Those that do can be found at Derbyshire Record Office.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 23 April 13 17:57 BST (UK) »
If he was born in the WH - then the WH address would be shown as his birthplace but it would not make any specific mention that it was a WH birth

I can find no likely relatives living in Union Street who may have taken Annie in at that time

Why would you assume that she would stay with relatives - Union St may have been lodgings
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline llij

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 08:18 BST (UK) »
If he was born in the WH - then the WH address would be shown as his birthplace but it would not make any specific mention that it was a WH birth

I can find no likely relatives living in Union Street who may have taken Annie in at that time

Why would you assume that she would stay with relatives - Union St may have been lodgings

Thanks both of you, for your response.
I do have the birth certificate and the Work House is NOT mentioned on it. Just, Union Street.
As Annie is from Werrington ( a fair distance from Ashbourne) and quite young, I guessed that she may be with relatives but yes, she may have been a lodger.
I'll keep on looking!
Jill

Offline patpat

• RootsChat Extra
  • me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 May 13 18:33 BST (UK) »
Ashbourne Workhouse ( new one ) was opened around 1845 in Bell Vue Road next street along from Union Street.  I understand the one in Dig Street was closed when new one opened.
 •Derbyshire Record Office, New Street, Matlock, Derbyshire. Few records survive — holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1845-1930); Register of boarded-out children (1908-34); etc.

HEDEKER/BECKETT  Hampshire 
CHELL/ WAYWELL...Derbyshire  KELLOW /CHELL...Derbyshire
KELLOW/ NICHOLLS Cornwall

Timperley Staffs/Derbys
REDFERN /POYSER /BROADHEAD/MASSEY  Staffs and Cheshire
SPENCER/ Waywell Wirksworth Derbyshire GOUGH/BECKETT Hamphire 

Wilson, Pirie. Aberdeen. GOFF(e) Sussex
ALSO DOING  EDICKER EDEKER EARWACKER  EARWICKER  ...   AND any