Author Topic: Anyone got Eccles records?  (Read 701 times)

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Anyone got Eccles records?
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 00:58 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Despite the excellent Lancashire coverage between LOPC, Ancestry & Family Search, I can only find a few burials for Eccles. Would anyone have a private resource of baptisms/marriages for the mid-late 18thC?

I'm looking for any records for Aykroyds, particularly the family of Simeon Aykroyd. I know he buried the following children in Eccles: Sarah 1767, Hannah 1767, Samuel 1775, Stephen 1778 & Sarah 1778.

There are a number of Aykroyds, including my own, born around this time and living in Salford, many of whom used the name Simeon in their own families, who I believe are all the children of Simeon of Eccles.

The families I've found are:
Susannah born c1760, married William Shaw 1784 Witness Simeon Aykjroyd. Had a child named Simeon Aykroyd Shaw.
Elizabeth c1763, married Edmund Shaw 1784 Shared other witness (Elizb Seddon) with Susanah and also had a child named Simeon Aykroyd Shaw
James c1771, married Catherine Brown in 1796. No Simeons found, but lived in Salford
John (my ancestor) c1771 Engineer/roller maker. married Elizabeth Allen 1793 & had 4 children. Widowed & married Susannah (widow of John Gledhill/Gladhill) 1799 and had further children, including one Simeon.
Simeon c1773 - one of this name enlisted in the foot guards in 1800, also a marriage to Martha Chadwick 1798 and children born to this marriage 1801-1812. Possibly the same man. No discharge papers found (so not pensioned out), so perhaps spent little time in the army. Described as Book Keeper in daughter's 2nd marriage record.
Possibly another Samuel born after jun 1775, but I can't lay my hands on where I got that from

Wood Turning was a bit of a family trade, and even John's widow was listed as a wood turner in the 1824-5 directory

If anyone has any Eccles parish records that might shed some light on this family, particularly helping me to attach them to each other, would be gratefully received.

Edit: I should point out the obvious fact that this name has a few variants, though most of the family were literate, so the Aykroyd spelling was maintained more than one might expect for the time, but it does also crop up as Akeroyd, Ackroyd, Acroyd, Akroyd, Achroyd etc and rarely with the "oid" ending instead of "oyd"
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool
Williams; Africa, Liverpool
Jenner; Glos

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got Eccles records?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 01:17 BST (UK) »
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Eccles/  indicates local searches are required....

I would be inclined to look at Hugh Wallis on ancestry and see what the microfilm scopes are for Eccles.....

Offline Candolim_Imp

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got Eccles records?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 01:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, I've gone through all the likely routes for online sources. I was hoping that someone might have something on CD or hard copy
Hodge; Southport, Lancs
Pugh; Salop, Liverpool
Hulm; Bootle, Southport
Guildford; Liverpool
Clausen; Denmark, Liverpool
Yapp/Yopp; Salop
Marshall, Rimmer, Howard, Johnson, Jackson; Southport
Bury; Heref, Herts
Dady; Norfolk, Southport
Colebourne; Liverpool
Small; Barbados, Liverpool
Murray; West Indies, Liverpool