Author Topic: Desperately seeking Daisy  (Read 2317 times)

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Desperately seeking Daisy
« on: Wednesday 24 April 13 20:41 BST (UK) »
I came across the gravestone of Daisy Maud Spencer the other day on a wander round my local cemetery whilst taking pictures of inscriptions for a fellow genealogist on Australia.

Anyway I snapped a picture because of the beautiful wild primroses growing there and I noticed her gravestone states that she did suddenly on 21st august 1911.  This grabbed my interest and I attempted to find her on the 1911.  I have found her, the cousin of Sir Stanley Spencer, born in Cookham Berkshire in 1882 on the 1891 and 1901 Census, but no joy on the 1911.

The one daisy Maud spencer I can find on the 1911 Census I am certain is no her.  I have tried searching under different spellings, as Daisy Maud, just Daisy and just Maud. No luck. I know she died in Southwark, London aged 29.

Any fresh ideas on how to search for her?

Any help gratefully received.
Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Desperately seeking Daisy
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:17 BST (UK) »
Thought probate may have given an address -but no!

probate
Daisy maud Spencer of Belmont Cookham Berkshire spinster died 21 Aug 1911 at bethlem Royal Hospital Southwark Surrey. Administration London 7th February to mabel Lloyd Spencer spinster
Effects £550

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:22 BST (UK) »
Ah, thank you for that Suz!  At least now I know she died in a hospital, so possibly had an illness or accident of some sort.  That's a little piece of the puzzle.

From my own research her family had seen so much death.  Her disabled sister Lily died in 1899, then her elder sister Violet Eleanor passed away in 1901 aged only 20, then her father passed away in 1902 aged 54.  The only surviving members of the family where Daisy's mother Sarah Jane and her elder sister Mabel Lloyd who is named in her will.

Hannah - Isle of Man, Kensington.  Cousins - Northamptonshire, Kensington.  Poulsum - Monmouthshire.  Carpenter - Buckinghamshire, Berkshire, Surrey, Kent, Hertfordshire.  Turner - Berkshire.  Vincent - Wiltshire.  Beachus - Wales

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:28 BST (UK) »
What was daisy maud's occupation?
It seems sister Mabel was a nurse - so wondered if that was Daisy's occupation too. If so she could have been working in the hospital she died in - or maybe she was away somewhere tending sick/injured military  personel?

Just guessing -but may be worth a thought

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:33 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately I haven't found an occupation listed for her.  The last 'time' I have founf her is the 1901 Census living with her parents aged 18, no occupation given.

It's a mystery.

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:40 BST (UK) »
I have just researched Bethlem Royal Hospital to discover that it's Britain's oldest hospital for dealing with mental illness, dating back to 1247. 

I am wondering if with the loss of almost her entire family between 1899 to 1902, Daisy became depressed.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:45 BST (UK) »
We aren't allowed to do 1911 English census lookups here but I think people in institutions (hospitals, schools, gaols, etc.) were listed in under initial rather than surname and first name(s) (at least that's how they were enumerated in Ireland) so perhaps search 1911 census by initials- sometimes less is more so just keep trying different combinations of search terms.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:51 BST (UK) »
Yes people in institutions in England are also listed under initials only. In addition birthplace may not be known if the patient was unable to say and there was no family available to ask.

Jan  ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline SeaThreePeeO

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 April 13 21:55 BST (UK) »
I've searched the hospital on the 1911 census and none of the initials add up.  I don't think she was in that hospital at the time the census was taken.  She could have possibly been in another hospital, but I guess I will not find out, today at least.

I hate mysteries I cannot pin down.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.