Author Topic: Honoria BENTLEY b.1833 Limerick  (Read 4773 times)

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Honoria BENTLEY b.1833 Limerick
« Reply #18 on: Friday 26 April 13 08:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone. My great aunt started the research into Honoria and her husband Albert about 20 years ago before we had the benefit of online indexes. She had recorded that she kept changing her name on the different documents, settling on Henrietta for the majority. Most documents collected went to her daughter and I don't have copies, so am trying to go a little further into her parents and to verify the information she had collected.

From Aunt Jean "Honoria, who was sixteen years of age at the time, came on the orphan ship the PEMBERTON which sailed from Plymouth in England on 29 January 1849 and docked at Port Phillip on 14 May. She was received into a government-sponsored immigration depot on 26 May and left Melbourne for Portland some three weeks later. There she met and married Albert Vincent Balzary at the local church of St Stephen on 14 February 1853. Albert was born in Hungary and is thought to have sailed from Bombay to Australia on the RUNNYMEDE, arriving at Portland on 3 June 1852" (Jean notes that a number of subsequent certificates state that Honoria and Albert were actually married in Bombay but believes that was not so).

I downloaded a copy of Honoria's marriage certificate to William LOVETT and that had her parents listed as Catherine RYE and Thomas LOVETT BENTLEY (Coach builder). In 1875 she listed her age as 34 so the problem with the death certificate might relate to this. We know that she had the first 3 of her children 1853, 1855 and 1857 (no births registered) and 2 more (registered) in 1859 and 1860.

I also started a thread on the Limerick board to see if there was any evidence of a christening in Ireland or evidence of her parents in Limerick but haven't been able to find any yet.

I'll look into the LOVETT burials at Dunolly. I agree that Carol's photo's are an enormous assistance in trying to sort out people and dates. I didn't have much on the LOVETT's as we are decended from Honoria and Albert's third child, Eleanor Alberta BALZARY.

Cheers
Mel
Jenkins, Pyke, Percy, Peck, Thomas, Davies, Hyne

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 26 April 13 08:52 BST (UK) »
The inconsistencies I mention are that the index shows a burial year of 1862 and date of 28th July.  There were no WILLIAM LOVETT deaths in Vic in 1862. So an error I think in the index.  The Vic index show 1882. The will gives a death date of 27th July 1882.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 26 April 13 08:59 BST (UK) »
I downloaded a copy of Honoria's marriage certificate to William LOVETT and that had her parents listed as Catherine RYE and Thomas LOVETT (Coach builder).

You seem to be saying her birth name was LOVETT!!

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 26 April 13 09:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks Sue  :) Tired brain!

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 26 April 13 09:16 BST (UK) »
You said you had information about her later life so you may already have these:

Death Notice for Henrietta LOVETT, 1 Dec 1992, mother of Arthur V and Edwin A BALZARY, and Mrs J W WILLIS, and Mrs J E PECK.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/9067337

I wonder if this is William LOVETT and perhaps is the precursor to his death.
15 July 1882, report of an accident at Queen's Birthday Mine, Dunolly where the mine captain LOVETT was buried by stone.  He seems to have survived the actual accident but was dangerously injured.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/86284779

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 26 April 13 09:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks Judith. I hadn't seen the article on the mining accident. It might have been a result of these injuries that he died as it is close to his date of death on 27th Jul 1882.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 April 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
Buried at Melbourne General Cemetery Methodist Section L

In loving memory of
Henrietta L LOVETT
who died 29 Nov 1902, age 59 years
also her grandchild
Norma Iris BALZARY
died 18 Jun 1905 age 7 months.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 April 13 09:44 BST (UK) »
The inconsistencies I mention are that the index shows a burial year of 1862 and date of 28th July.  There were no WILLIAM LOVETT deaths in Vic in 1862. So an error I think in the index.  The Vic index show 1882. The will gives a death date of 27th July 1882.

Sue

It appears there is also a error in the Burial Register.  It may simply be a transcription error from the register.  Wonder what date is on the headstone?

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tiggatha

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 June 13 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Mel,

I am also a descendant of Honora Bentley and Albert Balzary (from Emily Louisa). I have been trying to find out more about Honora's Irish roots too, without much success, but I would be happy to hear from you and maybe we'd have more luck working together?

I have only just registered here (so I could reply to you), so I'm not sure how to message you directly, if I can.

Tiggy