Author Topic: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4  (Read 72188 times)

Offline The Irish Antiquarian

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Halpins of Wicklow, etc. - Part 4
« Reply #252 on: Wednesday 03 November 21 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Is your James Albert the same as the Albert James that I have, born Nov 1896, called Jim?
Yes, I believe so

Offline BillW

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Thursday 13 October 22 19:34 BST (UK) »
I am fortunate to at last be able to visit Portarlington and today I spent a few hours in the local library's local studies section looking into books by the late Ronnie Mathews, whom I knew about, and by John Stocks Powell, whom I did not.  Some disparate notes.

Powell in his book Schooling in Ireland, a Clustered History, 1695-1912attributes a quote to A record of the Hill and Binney families compiled from letters and correspondence by Thomas Stephen Hill.  Private Ms, page 5 of 1977 typed copy.
I had reported previously that Old Hill from a family who had a position in the (town) corporation.  The couple had 3 children each of whom strongly honoured her Halpin origins.  This discovery confirms that there are existing descendants from Old Nick's daughter.  Ronnie Mathews' book confirms the childrens' names weNick's daughter Mary Anne Halpin had married a Thomas Hill.  Powell says that he was Major by Thomas Stephre Nicholas Thomas, William Halpin and Mary Anne Hill.
We know the Rev N J Halpin but Old Nick's other son William Henry "published many poems and translations from Greek, Latin, French, Italian, Spanish and Portugese poets circa 1825".
[Portarlington the Inside Story, Ronnie Mathews]

Offline Terry7

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Sunday 11 December 22 21:16 GMT (UK) »
I have come across a record of the transfer of lands from Robert Burke of the City of Dublin to Patrick Metcalf Halpin of Glouster Place, Dublin on 4 Nov 1813. The lands are in Scriebogue, Hermitage, Ughtyneal, Aughnane, Ballymacdavid (otherwise Ballymackane), Mullaghea in Co Meath. The reference is in the Registry of Deeds 1811-1820, Reference 665 300 459195.
Could this be the same Patrick Metcalf Halpin mentioned by Seanachai in Halpins of Wicklow - Part 4.

Offline Ray.H

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 20:14 GMT (UK) »
You are correct in your assumption, Terry.  The reference you refer to is indeed that of the same Patrick Metcalf Halpin mentioned in a very old post of mine.  After the Union in 1800 and the abolishment of the Irish legislature, P M Halpin, who had once served as Secretary to the Lord Chancellor, Lord Lifford, was out of a job and while he didn't exactly fall on hard times, was seriously out of pocket.  He appealed for compensation, but was ultimately unsuccessful, and before he died (in about 1814, I think), he was regarded by the legal fraternity in Ireland as the Father of the Profession. 

His half-brothers were the actor John Edmund Halpin, and the surgeon Oliver Halpin.  Patrick had land in Wicklow too, and I think much of it was sold off for financial reasons.  Louth was where the Halpins originally settled after moving to Ireland from England, either at the time of the Cromwellian atrocities, or much earlier.  My hunch is they were Old English, and maintained contact with their relatives in England for many generations, before the link was finally broken for good late in the 18th century.