Author Topic: Long - Blackpool  (Read 4133 times)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Long - Blackpool
« on: Saturday 27 April 13 23:31 BST (UK) »
I am researching for a friend who is executor of a will -and is trying to find beneficiaries

An elderly aunt (well into her 90's ) died recently she never married - her will leaves part of her estate to the neices and nephews of her friend William Thomas Long (William "Bill" died approx 6 years ago).
Very little is known of William Thomas Long - and no names are given of his neices & nephews

William Thomas Long was born 29 Aug 1925 at 7 E James St  Blackpool and died in Leicester
His parents were William Wordsworth Long & Mary Elizabeth Elliott
Parents died in the Blackpool area - Mary Elizabeth died 1939 age 40
William Wordsworth died in the 1950's

William Thomas Long had a sister Joan Long who was murdered age 22 in 1944 in Blackpool- an American serviceman was convicted of manslaughter- I have reports from nationwide newspapers - the only information on the family I can find from those reports is - Joan was the eldest of 3 children,  her father was a widower (and stated that Joan was born with a weak leg and was "not very bright" - unable to read & write -) Father William Wordsworth Long was a gardener and " ex lieutenant of the Loyal Regiment.
At the time of the murder the family lived at Bispham Blackpool

I think the missing child is Eileen b 1922 -who must have married and had children- and is apparantly now deceased.

Does anyone know who she married ??

Or any other information of this family?

Please PM me with any information in case anyone is living.

Thank you in anticipation

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherjulie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Long - Blackpool
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 13 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have sent you a message
Heather

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 13 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies

I have just confirmed the suggested marriage is not the correct one
Back to the drawing board
Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 May 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
Eileen & Joan were twins born 1922 but there was also another daughter Joan b 1920 shortly after the marriage but I can't see a death for her prior to 1922 when the other Joan was born

Was the rejected marriage in 1946?
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 May 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
The 1946 marriage is definately not the one

Just received (this lunchtime) a little more information

Joan was b 1920 but her birth reg with Eileens in 1922

If you look at the image of birth reg Dec qtr 1920 for Joan -the entry is written at the bottom of the page and states "See July 1922"
Apparantly there were problems at her birth so the registration must have been late
However Joan was murdered in 1944 and her age is given as 22- this gets more complicated.

Eileen had no middle name on birth reg -but on her (possible marriage & death reg she has the middle initial "A"

I willl PM you

Suz

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Long - Blackpool COMPLETE
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 20:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you to all who replied - on board or by PM - today the people being sought have been found - and I have to thank all who helped in the search -and Carole's very generous offer to search further.
It is a direct result of us helping that the beneficieries have been found - with very little information.
Thank you all once again from me and on behalf of our friends.

Suz

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 May 13 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz

That is brilliant news.  I'm so pleased for you and your friends.
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Pete3000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 October 14 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suzard, I am the Great Grand Nephew of William W. Long, I have been trying to get details of Joan Long, as it has, as you can imagine, been somewhat of a story with mixed details within the family for a while now. I have tried to DM you but there is an error on the account. Where would I be able to find the newspaper articles that you have?

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 October 14 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello and welcome to RootsChat - you will have to make 2 more posts before you can PM me -so reply to this twice!!!!
Have to exchange info via PM as some of the people involved are living

Suz