Author Topic: Convict Kearns  (Read 4661 times)

Offline titania

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Convict Kearns
« on: Thursday 09 June 05 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi all
I have a John Kearns bn c 1814 transported to Oz 1846 His convict records suggest he was born in Wicklow but committed his crime, stole 2 cwt of potatoes, in Queens also on his records it says he had 5 children I have seen a record of 1 born in Hacketstown I know that 2 came with their mother to Oz at a later date So this is my question If the other three died before his wife followed him out here where in Queens do I even begin to start looking for these other children? I'm assuming because John committed his crime there he also had moved there to live at some stage any ideas appreciated Chris

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Convict Kearns
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 March 08 17:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello titania,

There are three items you require when searching for Irish ancestors.

1. Denomination.
2. Parish
3. Townland. 

You'll have to rely on Church records as civil registration in Ireland was not introduced until 1864. Non Catholic marriages were registered from 1845 onwards. When registration for BDMS started in 1864 some people didn't bother with the registration for a few years after that date. Keep your fingers crossed that church records still exist.

Christopher

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Convict Kearns
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Titania, I know this is an old post, but I am wondering if you are still researching it.  Was your John married to a Johanna McDonald?  I have a John whose trial was on 26/6/1845.  He travelled on the Samuel Boddington leaving Dublin 23/9/1845 arriving in Hobart c 18/Jan/1846.  I need to fill in some more gaps and am williing to share info
Irishrose