Author Topic: Gallipoli - Battle of the Teacups?  (Read 5939 times)

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Gallipoli - Battle of the Teacups?
« on: Sunday 28 April 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
Dear friends

ANZAC day and time with family have raised an interest in the last battle at Gallipolli.

Family story has it that this battle was called the Battle of the Teacups, and was fought by the last 6 men only, rigging cups to the guns triggers and relying on water to fill them and set them off, long after the main battalions had retrenched.

Does anyone know anything about this being true?

If so, is this detailed anywhere?

Thank you,
Twiggy

...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gallipoli - Battle of the Teacups?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 28 April 13 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Twiggy,

I haven't heard of the name 'Battle of the Teacups', but the story of rigging pannikins to the gun triggers and using water to set them off at different times is certainly true.

It was part of the larger planned deception used to evacuate the last of the men from Gallipoli without casualties at night and ironically was the most successful operation the Allies undertook in the campaign - an evacuation.

If this was a family story the 'Battle of the Teacups' might be an informal survivor's name for the ruse and 'the last six men' a memory of him or his mates carrying it out in their particular trench.

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 28 April 13 21:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that confirmation spades, at least we seem to be on the right track.

Where did you find out about this?   I hadn't had much luck searching online.

If the ANZAC forces were under the British, whose were the main records of this event? 

Do you think that our NZ Battalion diaries in Archives NZ might have more information?

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline spades

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 29 April 13 00:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Twiggy,

I don't have any answers to the questions you pose, but page 275 of the coffee-table book Gallipoli. Untold stories from war correspondent Charles Bean and front line Anzacs talks about an Australian who invented a technique for firing off rifles by "two bully beef tins full of water and a bit of string...it will pull the trigger as late as 20 minutes after it has been left'.

Men were evacuated in small groups at first with the final Evacuation Days the nights of 18 and 19 December.

This book is an excellent day-by-day account of the campaign, and although from an Aussie point of view rather than Kiwi or British, covers the daily struggle to survive the snipers, artillery bombardments, thirst, etc.

If you read the most recent newspaper articles and New Zealand Listener dealing with Anzac Day commemorations you will gain a lot more information. And there is the WW100 website as well
http://ww100.govt.nz/

Spades
ELLERKER - Beverley ERY ENG
HEALEY - IRL?
MURDOCH - Wigtownshire SCT, Otago and Westland NZ
PALING - Nottinghamshire ENG
RILEY - Flamborough; Cottingham; South Dalton ERY, Manitoba CAN, & London ENG
STURTON - Arnold, Nottinghamshire ENG
SUTTRON - All, NRY & DUR ENG
TAYLOR - London ENG
TYLER - London ENG
TERNAN/TIERNAN - Dublin IRL

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 29 April 13 01:17 BST (UK) »
I wonder if there's information to help to be found in C W Bean's books (Australia's official historian for WWI)

They are available as pdf files   

http://www.awm.gov.au/histories/first_world_war/

Probably looking for Vol II and its index starts at its page 911

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 April 13 03:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.

Offline lilpurplepearl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 April 13 03:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

It was called the "drip rifle" made from obviously a rifle, 2 jam tins, some wire, water & a chunk of wood.  I've never heard of it being called as the "Battle of the Teacups" but that naming of it really puts an ANZAC twist on it.

There are many books you can get your hands on, unfortunately I've only read books written by Australian authors. The book that I think gives a good chronological account is one called "Gallipoli: The final battles and evacuation of ANZAC" written by David W. Cameron.

And yes Majm is right, Charles W Bean's books or diaries would be an excellent place to start. He was at Gallipoli & saw first hand what our ANZAC's were going through right up to the very end.

Cheers,
LLp
Burgoyne - Brackley, Northampton, UK.
Hayne - Northampton, UK.
Ward - Brisbane & Rockhampton, Australia.
Whelan/Whalen - Sleaty, Ireland.
Bergin - Birr, Ireland (Parsonstown).
Warr - Turweston, Buckinghamshire, UK.
Paul - Malstatt, Saarbrucken, Germany.
Schauff - Stommeln, Pulheim, Germany.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 29 April 13 03:37 BST (UK) »
http://anzac.homestead.com/rifle.html 

Photos and info at that link  ;D

ADDING this link :

http://www.awm.gov.au/encyclopedia/gallipoli/drip_rifle.asp 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 April 13 04:06 BST (UK) »
Wonderful resources, information and leads folks!   :D

I am going to share them with family and see if it triggers any further memories.