Author Topic: Workington, Robb/Wiley/Cassidy/Relph  (Read 503 times)

Offline laurabell70

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Workington, Robb/Wiley/Cassidy/Relph
« on: Wednesday 01 May 13 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I am in Ontario, Canada so of course it is difficult for me to do research in England.

I have found a marriage of my 4x great grand parents George Robb and Eleanor (Helen?) Wiley in St Michael, Workington on 1 Sept 1812.  The transcriptions on Ancestry and Familysearch state they were born in or about 1792 and he was a shipwright.  As far as I can tell they had 2 living children, Mary in 1813 and Margaret (my 3x ggmother) in 1815.   He MAY have died between 1813 and 1821 as there is a widow Eleanor Robbs who married Edward (Brascilli, scene painter) Cassidy in 1821.  Then a widow Eleanor Cassidy married a John Relph in Workington in 1827.  There may be a child Eleanor Cassidy from the Eleanor Wiley Robbs Cassidy marriage named Eleanor Cassidy born in 1823 in Cumberland.

Does anyone know how or have any contacts in the Workington area that might be able to see if there is any more information on these two?  It has been over a year and I have been at a complete standstill. 

I wonder if there is more information on the Robbs/Wiley marriage other than what has been transcribed on Ancestry and Familysearch.

If anyone can help me I would sure appreciate it.

I am willing to trade any look ups in North Western Ontario Canada and/or pay, through paypal a fee for any mileage/parking/library/museum/photocopy fees.

Hopefully someone out there can help me.

Cheers from Canada
Laura

Fisher from Whitehaven, Cumberland, England

McAteer from Poyntzpass, Armagh, Ireland

Robb/Robbs  from Workington, Cumberland, England or possibly Scotland

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Workington, Robb/Wiley/Cassidy/Relph
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Laura :)

The marriage info that you already have is taken from Phillimore's Marriage Index (published 1910) which is available to download (I suggest the pdf) http://tinyurl.com/d7947xn

The first marriage says they were both aged 20, the second and third marriages were by licence.

The Index only names a parish if the couple were not "of this parish".  Realistically, a sight of the actual register would add the names of the witnesses, but probably nothing else.

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline laurabell70

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Workington, Robb/Wiley/Cassidy/Relph
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 May 13 03:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you Geoff
Fisher from Whitehaven, Cumberland, England

McAteer from Poyntzpass, Armagh, Ireland

Robb/Robbs  from Workington, Cumberland, England or possibly Scotland