Author Topic: Baptism/Marriage Thomas Powell b. 1820 +/- 5 years near Kingsland, Herefordshire  (Read 6742 times)

Offline AlbatrossIV

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there. I am seeking assistance on locating a Thomas Powell born about 1820 +/- 5 years in or around Kingsland, Herefordshire. He may only have married there. He married a Mary, no children, was a butcher and imperfect tailor and was convicted of stealing 6 sheep in Radnorshire on 2 January 1843 at the Herefordshire Quarter sessions before he was transported in 1844 to Tasmania for 10 years.

No idea of his parents at all. If anyone could possibly suggest likely candidates, that would be great. I am continuing to look through the 1841 census but unsure if he was in Herefordshire or Radnorshire at the time.

Thank you.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism/Marriage Thomas Powell b. 1820 +/- 5 years near Kingsland, Herefordshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 14:10 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage on Family Search of a Thomas Powell to Mary Hall on    6 June 1833 at Staunton On Arrow  which is fairly near Kingsland.  Why do you think he lived in this part of Herefordshire?  Is it mentioned in his conviction?

Kay

Offline AlbatrossIV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism/Marriage Thomas Powell b. 1820 +/- 5 years near Kingsland, Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 May 13 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Kay,

Many thanks for your reply. Yes, on Thomas Powell's Convict record it indicated Herefordshire and it looked like Kingsland, but not easy to read. I located a Thomas Powell in Kington, who was a butcher and the only Thomas Powell who was in Herefordshire in 1840 as a butcher or tailor. The age in his conviction in 1843 was 21 and his marriage in 1850 was 24. On his convict record he worked as a butcher and imperfect tailor. In 1850, marriage record stated tailor. He was convicted of stealing 6 sheep in Willis, Radnorshire. The same man at his death, had an age that gave a birth date of 1815. So age is all over the place. This person has too many inconsistencies and hard to determine what his correct age would be.

He remarried in Tasmania in 1850 after receiving his pardon. He had no children from his first marriage, to whom it appears as Mary. He had a half brother James.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jim

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Is it possible to include a link to his conviction that mentions Kingsland or Willis? I must admit I haven't heard of Willis in Radnorshire.  Could it have been the person he stole the sheep from rather than a place?

Kay

Offline AlbatrossIV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hi Kay,

Please find the link here and look at the convict indent as well.

Thanks for your thoughts.

http://portal.archives.tas.gov.au/menu.aspx?detail=1&type=C&id=57087 

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link.  Thomas's origin is clearly shown at Herefrodshire with Radnorshire being crossed out.  I would love to know what is written by Kingsland in the last column.  The column is titled remarks and the remarks against others appear to relate to who they were last working for or possible names of relations. 

Willis or similar does refer to where a Mr Davis living in Radnorshire whose sheep were stolen but I don't know of a local place with that name - Most probably a farm

Sorry to not be of more help

Kay

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is a Wallstych farm in radnorshire about a mile west of Kington, easy to walk six sheep back to the shop from there.

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
there is a james powell christened in Kingsland in oct. 1830, parents Richard and phoebe, is this a possible half brother, do we know the exact half relationship, same mother or father, or anything more about james

Offline AlbatrossIV

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Thanks Kaye and Mazi. I have no idea the half brother relationship. On the convict record, it indicates 1/2 brother James. That is a possible person but no way to confirm unless we can Thomas Powell's birth or baptism with Richard as a parent.

Thanks for your help. I will leave this for now as there are too many unknowns.