Author Topic: 2nd Middlesex Regiment Private Ernest Penn 1200  (Read 648 times)

Offline deecy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
2nd Middlesex Regiment Private Ernest Penn 1200
« on: Thursday 02 May 13 23:06 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about my grandad's uncles Ernest Penn (b.1869), John Penn (b.1874) and his dad Herbert Penn (b.1872) - all from Watton at Stone/Hertford

1200 Private            Penn E 2nd Bn.
4831 Lance Corporal Penn J M.I. Coy., 1st Bn.
3704 Seargent         Penn H.A

I know Ernest was in the 2nd btn Middlesex Regiment and was in the Boer War but I can't find anything else about him after that, no death, no grave records, no marriage records, no further military service... ?

Similarly his brother John was also in the army, he was a Lance Corporal in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and served in the Boer War where I believe he was injured. Any help with what happened after the Boer War would be great.

Herbert Alfred (my great grandad) was in the Northampton Regiment (1892-1912) mainly in India and then from 1914 - 1918 he was in the Herts, Beds, Sussex and Worcestshire Regiments where he was a CSM.

Anything on any of the brothers would be lovely, if anyone can help?

Offline Dave2425

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd Middlesex Regiment Private Ernest Penn 1200
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 June 19 15:51 BST (UK) »
From 1878 until 1891 the Northamptonshire Regiment where in South Africa and Hong Kong
From 1878 until 1891 the Middlesex Regiment 2nd Battalion where in: Rangoon Burma, Secunderabad Madras, Kamptee Madras and Dhow Bombay