Author Topic: Mary Bramwell  (Read 2244 times)

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Bramwell
« on: Friday 03 May 13 14:04 BST (UK) »

Hi everyone, I have been researching my paternal family tree for quite some time now and like alot of my cousins, second cousins and distant relations who are researching as well I have drawn a total blank with my 3 x great grandfather Ralphs, sister Mary Bramwell.

Mary was born in Tideswell in 1814 to Margaret Bramwell which was confirmed a couple of years ago by someone who had a look at the parish records, she was illegitamate as was my 3 x great grandfather Ralph.

Just recently I have come across a tree that has a Mary Bramwell born 1815 in Tideswell who married a Thomas Hill in 1835 in Tideswell, the tree has no parents for Mary. I know it maybe a long shot but I was wondering if anyone has access to see if this could possible be the Mary Bramwell I am looking for.
Kind Regards
Lyne
Bramwell -  Derbyshire and Bolton
Pottinger -  Gloucestershire, Berkshire
James- Gloucestershire
Rawley, Wheeler - Middlesex
Nicholls, Nichols -  Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire
Lee, Porter - Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire
Bowers, Coxall, Coe, Dawkins, Hawkins, Horspoole, Rule - Cambridgeshire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Stewart - Stirlingshire,  Glasgow and Edingburgh
Tulloch - Orkney Islands
Liddell - Stirlingshire, Lanarkshire
Tulloch, Wilson, Stevenson, Baxter, Muir, Boag - Scotland

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Bramwell
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 May 13 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've had a look at this tree and there are similarities. I'm presuming Ralph Bramwell is the one in the censuses that ends up in Bolton Lancashire ? Thomas Hill and Mary Bramwell also end up Lancashire, they also have a son Ralph, and both families have sons Samuel and William.

claire

Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 May 13 10:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Lyne....don't know that this is much good, but I have the Tideswell Records..that show an interesting baptism for one THOMAS HILL..31.03.1815 son of Rowland and Ann........close enough to the baptism of MARY BRAMWELL daughter of Margaret 19.10.1814..to suggest it was these two that got married at Tideswell 27.08.1835........I haven't checked an Census yet to see Thomas Hill's birthplace...
There is another MARY BRAMWELL marriage 07.08.1848  to JOSEPH SLACK..which might confuse the issue!.....there is also a burial 04.01.1818 for a MARGARET BRAMWELL aged 31 daughter of Samuel...who MIGHT be your Margaret..
...edit...now checked the censuses 1841-1871 inclusive.....which will confirm or deny that this is your Mary..............Thomas Hill Was from Tideswell 1815.although one transcription says Taddington.the original shows Tideswell........a Cotton Weaver throughout..........married to Mary  Tideswell b. 1814..with by 1851 SEVEN children..and another two by 1861..and moved to Oldham lancs by 1871...............TROUBLE IS !!!!! Thomas Hill is a bachelor in 1841..when he is supposed to have married Mary Bramwell in 1835...........
Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 May 13 11:06 BST (UK) »

Hi Claire , Yes Ralph did end up in Bolton Lancashire and I saw that Mary Bramwell and Thomas Hill also ended up in Lancashire as well, a place called Darwen. Its interesting that Mary and Thomas had a son called Ralph as well as having sons called Samuel and William.

Hi Derek, According to the tree that I saw, it suggests that Thomas Hill was born in Tideswell, and I suppose if Thomas and Mary grew up in the same village and were about the same age then it is possible they may have married each other. Mary Bramwell has been a brick wall for years as has her mother Margaret.
Kind Regards
Lyne
James- Gloucestershire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Tulloch - Orkney Islands

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 May 13 11:11 BST (UK) »
I Think our messages may have crossed..and you replied before i had completed my amendment....and i can find no allternative marriage for \mary bramwell...neither can i find any reason for thomas calling himself a bachelor in 1841..when apparently he already had children....Caleb baptised 28.07.1836 and Ann 12.05.1839...

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 May 13 11:24 BST (UK) »

Hi Derek, Yes our messages must have crossed. Looking at the tree that has the information on it suggests that Thomas Hill and Mary Bramwell married on 27th August 1835, it also suggests that two children Caleb was born in 1837 and Ann in 1840.
As for Mary's mother Margaret Bramwell well as Ralph and Mary were both illegitamate, was Margaret the daughter of someone with the surname Bramwell, was she married to someone who had passed away with the surname Bramwell, a tough nut to crack really trying to find out who her parents were.
Many thanks for your help it is appreciated.
Kind Regards
Lynette
James- Gloucestershire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Tulloch - Orkney Islands

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 May 13 11:32 BST (UK) »
I have now found an 1841 Census that shows Thomas and Mary..along with Caleb..appears to be a correction from Thomas Hall...........so i think the 1841 Bachelor is a mistake......

So how much of this actually points to you having the correct Mary..and what do you have that doesn't??..I'd love to sort it for you from original records rather than someone else's Tree.

Offline NettieS

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 May 13 11:47 BST (UK) »

Hi Derek,

I dont have anything to say that it all points to having the correct Mary and I dont have anything that says it is not the correct Mary. As I said I came across the tree recently and wondered if it was the Mary Bramwell I was looking for.
I like to have solid information rather than going by someone else's tree, which is why I asked for a look up.
Kind Regards
Lyne
James- Gloucestershire
Stoughton - Bedfordshire
Tulloch - Orkney Islands

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 May 13 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have found quite an interesting Land Tax Redemption Record: wonder if this could be part of your family?

Parish of Tideswell
Name of Proprietor: Reverend CALEB HILL.
Name of occupier: WILLIAM BRAMWELL
Sums assessed: £0  1s   halfpence.

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk