Author Topic: Charles McLean  (Read 2274 times)

Offline PamTwo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Charles McLean
« on: Sunday 05 May 13 07:03 BST (UK) »
I am searching for the county of birth in Scotland of my ggg grandfather Charles McLean.   It is on the 1841 census where he is a hairdresser living in Duke Street Southwark with his wife Ann nee Nichols. He is at that time 45, his wife 30. Their children are Charles b. 1828, William b. 1831, Elizabeth b. 1835. and John b. 1838.The children were all born in Surrey, though not Ann. They were married on 15 August 1825 at St. Mary, Newington .Without the county or even parish(which would be great) in Scotland, I cannot go further back. Hope someone can help    Thankyou

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Charles McLean
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 May 13 07:29 BST (UK) »
Ages of adults were rounded down to the nearest five year mark so someone stated as 45 could have been aged 45 to 49 assuming they gave the correct age in the first place. So by my arithmetic that gives his birth year as anything from 1792 to 1796.

According to Scotland's People, there were only 18 Charles McLeans born between those years which surprised me as I expected a lot more (common names). It would really help if you knew either of his parent's names, especially his father's name as that would narrow down the search.

If you widen the search by two years either way (often a good idea), the possible births jump to 37.

Does his marriage registration give the parents' names?

Offline PamTwo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 May 13 10:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you Joe, , the only parent was Anns on the marriage certificate,. The witnesses were William Williams, and Harriott Hale. Anns  father was George Nichols( Slater by trade.)Charles died  in 1845, 3 years later Ann  married George Smith a baker, son of John Smith  a gardener .Witnesses  to the second marriage for Ann were George McLean and R. Nichols.

McLean Berry Leakey  Bearman Marlow  Aubrey Fuller Murphy Duggan

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 May 13 18:32 BST (UK) »
According to Scotland's People, there were only 18 Charles McLeans born between those years

Just to be a bit picky, it means that only 18 records of baptisms of Charles McLeans between 1792 and 1796 have survived. There could have been many others born between those dates whose baptisms, for whatever reason, have not survived, or are perhaps in a register not included in Scotland's People.

Also, as the 1841 census was taken on 7 June 1841, those aged 45 would (assuming accuracy) have included anyone born from 7 June 1791 to 6 June 1796, not just 1792 to 1796.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline PamTwo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 04:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, I'll definitely bear that in mind, tried most every avenue, perhaps the George McLean who witnessed Anns second marriage might be the way to go. Could be a brother of Charles.
I do note that the witness  William Williams on Charles and Anns marriage must be one of those people that got paid for witnessing marriages, as he appears on several around that time.

Aubrey Abry Hardy Hardyday (Channel Isles and Dorset)  Murphy Duggan( Kerry)

McLean Berry Leakey Bearman( all London area )Marlow  Fuller (Richmond area)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 19:52 BST (UK) »
In 1841 George McLean is living in Southwark with a William & Mary Hollaway & an Eliza Nicholes. They are aged 50. George is 15. George's place of birth is Edinburgh N.B. (North Britain) in the 1851 census. Hope this helps.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline PamTwo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 May 13 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hello Fist, Thankyou for the info,I am sure the George McLean in 1841 is our man, because of the woman Eliza Nichols, same name as Anns ,except this George is born in Surrey but will have to check some more on George McLean in the 1851 census, yes he is from Edinburgh, which is great ,Also his 2 yr old child was born in Edinburgh. .   Still ploughing on, thanks once again.