Author Topic: Lodge family Marble Masons in Birmingham  (Read 5573 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lodge family Marble Masons in Birmingham
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
NO..... I did a british newspapers search, didn't do a London gazette search yet..... looks like cash flow problems, the bane of all businesses. Note the dates for William senior though.... he may have had to sell up - 'estates and effects' - and then started fresh in Birmingham. Does give me a Liverpool connection for him though, so probably more family there and son John meeting Harriet and marrying her in Liverpool makes the ties a little firmer.
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 09 May 13 10:07 BST (UK) »
Further on the possibility of Robert Lodge, born in 1814 in London - I have had contact with another researcher who has not been able to find a link to this family, and believes that William Lodge, his father was born in London. More information is needed, although its interesting that he turns up with the right dates living in the same street. His marriage reg to his wife Martha may give more clues.
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 09 May 13 10:52 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately you do need Robert & Jane's marriage certs.
The timeline appears to be that Wiiliam's business went bust in 1806 & appears to have taken quite a while to sort out.
Eventually he's been discharged married Ann & moved to London 1814 to start over.
He's probably found it difficult to make a living so tried his hand in B'ham where he first appears around 1819.
He dies 1824.
I don't know if I've missed something but why do you believe John married Harriet in Liverpool.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 09 May 13 12:40 BST (UK) »
I have their marriage registration:
Name: John Lodge -  Statuary ; Marriage Date: 18 Jan 1831; Parish: Liverpool, St Anne; Spouse's Name: Hamet Williams; Reference Number: 283 ANN/3/10; Witnesses William and Ellen Guy

There isn't another with names and dates that fit, and he is described as a 'statuary' - other descriptions also have him styling himself so..... so I believe this is correct. the 'Hamet' is a mistranslation - on the document it looks like Harriet.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 09 May 13 12:53 BST (UK) »
Also - just checking - on Ann and William's marriage registration, Ann (she spells is Anne herself on this, but everywhere else seems to be Ann) is a widow, but William's status is not given. he's not a bachelor, or a widower. Could all of the children be Ann's, and they took William's surname? Although, looking at other marriage registrations, the man is known by his profession, it is the woman who is known by her pre marriage status.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 09 May 13 12:58 BST (UK) »
YES!!!!  I think I may have found John's baptism:
Baptism: 27 Apr 1806 St John, Haymarket, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
John Lodge - Son of Willm. Lodge & Ellen
    Born: 19 Mar 1806
    Abode: London Rd
    Register: Baptisms 1801 - 1812, Page 34, Entry 29
    Source: LDS Film 1656195

Got to love those online parish clerk records!!

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 09 May 13 15:45 BST (UK) »
Well done you.
I don't know how we missed that one.
So you know there's another daughter then?
Margaret Lodge 6/1/1804.
Also The B'ham Gazette states William Jnr. took over the business 12/4/1845.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 09 May 13 22:31 BST (UK) »
William Lodge also sold his house in London Road in 1812 - newspaper again. Although it my be a coincidence, marrying Ann certainly meant  no business issues, possibly prosperity - for William. Then Ann ran the business from 1824 until 1845 without legal incidents, anyway. I think she was a capable woman. As yet, no details on William jnr's  birth, or the death of Ellen Lodge, William's former wife. I have been trying to back possibilities up with newspaper accounts - they can be a little hard to find, just got to get the search terms right. William's will would certainly be a boon, and Ann's too. They would  nail the family. I still have plenty to go in finding out about John and Harriet in their early years. Their daughter Elizabeth Margaret, born abt 1834 - no birth reg yet, it appears she was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire.
Thanks so much Jim, for offering your time and expertise - I really appreciate it!!  cheers,
Louise

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 10 May 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
I can't find a marriage for William to Ellen either or a marriage or death for Margaret.
It seems John didn't have much of an interest in the business although he would have been involved in it after William died.
Ann may have leaned more towards William Jnr. because of his deafness.
It probably seems odd to us as to why he would give up a comfortable life in B'ham for the uncertainties of NZ.
Well I'll let you carry on with this as you don't need me anymore so good luck & let us know how you get on.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.