Author Topic: Lodge family Marble Masons in Birmingham  (Read 5571 times)

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lodge family Marble Masons in Birmingham
« on: Sunday 05 May 13 23:38 BST (UK) »
I am on the track of my LODGE family who were marble and stone masons, working from Islington and Broad Streets. The Firm, the 'Islington Marble Works' existed prior to 1824, when Mr Lodge (no first name yet) died. His wife Ann took over the business and ran it until at least 1846. William Lodge had a branch, or his own business at 133 Islington St - the works are listed in various directories at 133, 136 Islington, 188 and 189 Broad St (I think the streets merged or were adjacent at some point.). Ann and her husband appear to have had at least 3 children - William born abt 1812 and John born abt 1808, and possibly Sarah, born abt 1820. Ann and William may have been born elsewhere, not in Warwickshire, although this is uncertain.   William married Jane (surname uncertain, although it could have been Tay). She has a middle name of 'Spiers'. John immigrated to NZ, and I know a good deal about his family and the rest of his life. Ann is mentioned in the 1841 census living with Sarah, with William living next door. I would LOVE to find the name of her husband and his burial (possibly in July or Aug 1824) and also the births of their children - Sarah appears to have been born in Warwickshire. Can anyone help? Cheers!!
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
Re: Lodge family Marble Masons in Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 May 13 16:47 BST (UK) »
There's a marriage for a Sarah Ellen Lodge 7/10/1841 at St. Thomas's B'ham which is her Parish on the 1841 census.She married Charles Rawlings a Methodist Minister & the census says she was born B'ham 1819 so this looks like her.
Her marriage will give her father's name & occupation.
Dec.1841/B'ham/16/467.
There's just 1 suitable death of a male Lodge in B'ham around the date you gave & that is William Lodge buried 30/6/1824 St.Paul's B'ham aged 58.
In 1851 there's an Ann Lodge aged 70 widow annuitant listed as mother-in-law to William Edmonds Wilson whose wife is Jane nee Lodge b.1823 B'ham.So there may be another daughter who may be a visitor in Bull St. in 1841.
Details:Jane Lodge=William Edmonds Wilson/June 1846/B'ham/16/428.
The William = Jane Tay marriage looks correct as they had a son Francis Tay Lodge.

jim
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 May 13 22:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks Jim - coincidentally - I just yesterday used the british newspaper archive to finally track the marriage of Sarah Ellen and the Rev Charles Rawlings, a methodist minister - they turned out to have a very interesting life, and raised 6 sons who were eminent Doctors and Clergymen in Wales. The Newspaper mentioned her father's name as 'William' . I also found an ad (Ann was good with ads for the business!) when she relinquished the business - rather in the manner of a royal abdication - to her son William in 1846. Her son John Lodge had a very different life in New Zealand, turning his hand to many things, but dying young in 1852.

May I ask where you found the possible burial for William? I didn't find anything in familysearch, free reg, acstry etc....? I am only researching online, I am looking at getting some parish cds to help me find people.

I have seen that other census of 1851, and it bears more research, I think, so I will check it out. I previously had this Lodge family mixed with another - they all had compatible dates and I had to do some careful weeding! But that is interesting, her mention in Bull St, thankyou! Yes, I think its Tay, because they also have a son Harry Tay lodge too...... again a parish cd may help there to confirm. Cheers, and thanks for taking the trouble to look at things for me, Louise
Joyce & Black in Armagh/Down; Clarkson in Hull, East Riding; Paxton in Hull, Yorkshire; Lodge in Huddersfield and Liverpool; Shaw in Caistor, Lincolnshire; Noncon and Pope in London.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
William's burial came from the National burial index (NBI) which is on disc.
I think if you're satisfied Sarah Ellen is yours & that William is the father & therefore husband to Ann you only need to get Jane's marriage to confirm her in or out.
I notice she relinquished the business in 1846 which would be consistant with William's will ( although I can't find one) which probably directed that Ann ran the business until the youngest reached 21 or married & then offer the business to William which is what happened.
She would have had Government or Bank of England Bonds as an investment probably arranged by her husband when alive & that's why she's an annuitant in 1851.
I think this will also be of interest,Wrightson's Triennial of B'ham 1823 has a William Lodge statuary & marble mason of Lichfield St.He doesn't appear in the 1815 directory which gives you an idea when he came to B'ham.

jim
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 12:47 BST (UK) »
My 3X g grandfather was  John Lodge, Williams' elder brother - he also was a stone and marble mason. He had 2 daughters, one of them called Sarah Ellen who was my 2 x g grandmother. The first Sarah Ellen's marriage notice in the Birmingham Gazette lists her father as the late William Lodge, Statuary, so I feel reasonably sure this Sarah Ellen is the daughter of Ann and William. John wrote home to his mother from NZ in 1840, telling her all about his first impressions of the new land, and this letter is addressed to A. Lodge of the Islington Marble Works, Birmingham, so again, I feel I have the right family. Jane however.... I am not sure, and I'd like to find some supporting information. The writing is not clear on the 1851 census, and I could not find a 'wilson' married to a Lodge. I will try a few variations.

here is the last thing John Lodge wrote:

"Mr. Wallace is writing to Mr. Drake in New-street. Any letters or parcels you may wish to send, may be sent in Mr. Wallace's goods. I must conclude by giving both our very best love to brothers and sisters, and to yourself doubly, not forgetting shopmates and friends.
"I should like you to forward this to Liverpool as early as possible, that they may know we have arrived safe. God bless them all and you all, if I never should see you again. If ever they should come, the rough will be done for them. Whatever my circumstances may be, should any of my family come here, they shall share as I share, if it be the last bit. God bless you all twenty times. Your ever affectionate son,"

So - brothers and sisters...... more family - his and his wife Harriet's?. and Liverpool? another branch? another brother?..... Mr Drake of New Street? Now that I know a bit more, I can continue to dig.

The 1841 census has William and Ann listed 'out of county' but Sarah 'in'. She was born about 1819/1820, so this fits with the possible information that Ann and William arrived in Birmingham after 1815 and before 1823. Jim, you are very knowledgeable! Your thoughts on Ann handing over the business are most interesting. I gather you are an experienced researcher in Birmingham, and I saw your post about the closed records, so thankyou for looking a couple of people up for me in your cd's. Cheers, Louise

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 14:19 BST (UK) »
These are Jane's marriage details if you wish to order the cert:
Details:Jane Lodge=William Edmonds Wilson/June 1846/B'ham/16/428.
The 1851 census shows William Edmd Wilson.
you might be interested in this map showing Islington 1839.
Notice at the top there is the stone wharf where the marble would have been brought in by barge.
At the bottom end around the school is where Ann & William lived.
According to his letter John indicates another close family member living in Liverpool.As we only have one brother found so far (William) I'm assuming (for now anyway) there's another in Liverpool.
So how about this chap;
1851 census,Liverpool:HO107/2178/441/48
George Lodge/40/Liverpool/Stone mason.
Living with wife Margaret nee Chisnall (m.1835) & family.
The 1841 census for B'ham throws up only 2 Lodges' not born in County.
Thomas b.1806,wood turner who married Mary Ann Jones but he signed X & your family were all literate so I don't think he's one.
The other is Robert Lodge b. 1815, Grocer but he was born London.
The interesting thing about Robert is that in 1841 he was living on the corner of Islington & Ryland St (no.59) While Ann & William were at 189.
So it's looks that if there was another brother he moved away from B'ham.
Here's an interesting development.There's a Robert Lodge birth 13/10/1814 at New Rd. Paddington Independant Chapel St. Marylebone,Parents William & Ann Lodge.
Robert consistantly states in the census that he was born in Paddington.
I had a feeling this family were Non-Conformists which is probably why they can't be found in Liverpool & B'ham.
There's a public members tree saying Sarah Ellen married at Carrs Lane Independant Chapel in B'ham.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline familysleuth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 22:51 BST (UK) »
Brilliant, Jim. And I checked, and found that John Lodge and Harriet Williams (who went to NZ) were married in Liverpool. I suspect Harriet was born there. The letter was a joint one with parts written by John and Harriet - they wrote beautifully, so both well educated - and it makes sense that John should ask his mother to send the letter on to Liverpool to Harriet's relatives too, and if they were known to eachother, the families close, then George Lodge, stone mason could be another brother in touch with the Williams Family. I have since verified the marriage of Jane and William - more from the Birmingham Gazette so I will get her marriage cert as I want to verify her name. That is interesting re Robert Lodge - he may be connected, or he may not, Lodge is not a very unusual name. More for me to check out.
I also found who Mr Drake was - a printer, stationer and bookseller, keen on education, author also, I think. What I have not yet looked at is John's reference to 'Mr Wallace' on the same ship, obviously known to Ann. What a lot can be gleaned from small pieces of information. I did look at the map a while ago, but did not know the significance of the location - thanks so much! It really pays for me to tap into your knowledge. I'd love to find out more about the education of Harriet - I suspect Ann Lodge was a rather forceful woman.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 23:03 BST (UK) »
A bit about Robert:
From at least 1855 to 1862 Robert lodge had an establishment, grocer and tea dealer at 59. Broad st (corner Bishopsgate st) He lived at 15 duchess road.
In 1873 he was described as tea dealer and italian warehouseman at 120 Broad st, and lived at The Hollies, court oak rd, harborne.At the same time Robert Lee Lodge
(Son ?) was a tea & coffee merchant at 110 Broad st. (corner of st martins st). He also lived at the Hollies .
By 1876 only Robert Lee is around at 168-9 broad st (street has been renumbered and this is still on corner of st martins.).
In 1876 He still lives in Court oak rd.
In 1880 He still lives in court oak rd, but J.L. Lodge (Son ?) is also listed there.
1884 -1888 Robert Lodge (only) listed at 34 Duchess Road
From 1888 – 1912 firm at Broad st called R L & J L Lodge, grocers and tea merchants
1892 - 1896 James Lee Lodge and Robert Lodge both listed at 419 Harborne road
1904 only James Lee listed as living at 417 Harborne road.
1908 Robert Lee lodge listed as living at 169 Broad st. No mention of J.L except for name of firm
1912 and after no private address given for either
Marriage:
Robert Lodge = Martha Lee/Dec. 1840/B'ham/16/459.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 23:21 BST (UK) »
I've found William's marriage;
By Licence,Jan 2 1814 Liverpool St. Nicholas
William Lodge, marble mason of the Parish of Liverpool
Anne Edwards widow of the same Parish
Wit:
Edward Coventry
John Elston ?
All signed own hand.
A bit of history.Non-Conformists could baptise in their own Chapels but marriages had to take place in the Established Parish Church & that's why they were married by Licence & are listed as being of the Parish of Liverpool rather than of this Parish.
This is why there's a gap between William & Sarah,William was married before & had John & William & after remarrying to Anne had Robert (I suspect), Sarah & Jane.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.