Author Topic: Isolation hospital, Cardiff  (Read 4076 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isolation hospital, Cardiff
« on: Tuesday 07 May 13 22:17 BST (UK) »
I found the death notice today for my dad's younger brother, who died age 4 in 1935. Although my dad has died, my mum told me - as far as she knew - that Peter had been in Llandough hospital for a few days, his parents and my dad had been to visit one night (dad not allowed in) and his last memory was of Peter waving to them from his window. By the time they got home, a policeman was waiting to tell them that he'd died. Mum didn't know the cause, but it seemed really sudden, given that a few hours earlier he was able to stand at the window and wave.

But according to the death notice, he died in the isolation hospital (which became Lansdowne hospital on Sanatorium Rd). Can't find anything more, I'll get the death cert in due course, but would this have been scarlet fever?

Really sad to see, on the same page, 'for the benefit of relatives and friends' a daily list of the children (by number) in the isolation hospital, grouped into 'progressing satisfactorily', 'some improvement',  and 'unchanged'.  :(

Deirdre     
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Isolation hospital, Cardiff
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 May 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Another post here which may be of interest.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=273860.0
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 May 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carol,

I've found some records at the Glamorgan Archives now and have emailed to ask if I'd be able to view them, data protection etc.

I'm more curious now having found the death notice in the paper (which I wanted for the date of death) so will probably get the death cert asap. I'd love to buy all the family certs to tie up loose ends but will have to win the lottery first  ::)

Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 May 13 21:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Deirdre,

interesting post........my mum was in the isolotion hospital (Lansdowne) around 1942 with Scarlet Fever,also mums sister who had Rheumatic Fever.

My dad and his sisters all spent time there with various childhood illnesses, which thankfully (most)can be cured today by a visit to the doctor for antibiotics . Did not know that the records office had this information.

marysma
Horn/Horne,Johnston,East Lothian
Horn/e, Farquhar,Shanks,Reid,Geddes, Banff and Buckie

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Morgan,Peirce,Thomas,Branch,South Wales

Crimmins/Crimin, Ring, Co,Cork.

Flynn-- Dungarvan,Waterford,Ireland.
Christopher, Waterford

Pride and Long ,Newington Bagpath,Glous,England.

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 May 13 22:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Marysma,

There's not much, only mortuary records, for 1935. They're going to look at the records for me and let me know (not sure if I can then visit and see for myself or if they will send any info). More info from the late 30s, admission records, case notes etc, so you may be lucky.

I've attached a link to the catalogue at the archives, not sure if it will open with the actual details but a search on isolation hospital brings up a full list....

http://calmview.cardiff.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=DHLA&pos=5

Deirdre

Offline marysma

• RootsChat Senior
  • Sofia--3yrs on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 May 13 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much much Deidre. I need to ask mum if she remembers what year she was at Lansdowne and go from there.

Regards.

marysma
Horn/Horne,Johnston,East Lothian
Horn/e, Farquhar,Shanks,Reid,Geddes, Banff and Buckie

Petrie--Moray/Portgordon
Shanks,Moray

Morgan,Peirce,Thomas,Branch,South Wales

Crimmins/Crimin, Ring, Co,Cork.

Flynn-- Dungarvan,Waterford,Ireland.
Christopher, Waterford

Pride and Long ,Newington Bagpath,Glous,England.