Author Topic: Arthur Maurice MOORE, draper comes to Surrey  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Arthur Maurice MOORE, draper comes to Surrey
« on: Friday 10 May 13 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello all

I have Arthur Maurice (or Morris) MOORE on all censuses. He was born 1849 in Preston Bagot, Warwickshire, to a farming family and ended his years there too. His wife's name was Jane, native of Stratford on Avon. His first child Sophia was born in Worcestershire in 1872.

In reverse chronological order, here's where he is found (most is just for context - the Surrey bit is the mystery).

My question is - what did he do in Surrey?

1881 Birmingham, occupation draper, staying with his brother in law

1877/ 1876 children born in Croydon (Dudley Maurice MOORE - baptism not found) & Selhurst (Thomas MOORE - baptism found) respectively (census says Woolwich for latter). WHAT WERE THEY DOING THERE??

1873 Directory has address 2 Greenhill Terr, Bath Rd, Worcester

1872 Post Office Directory entry for an Arthur Maurice MOORE in Green Hill, Bath Rd, Worcester - no profession, just an address

1871 marriage cert gives his occupation as Draper

1871 census Draper's assistant for Anthony NEW, High St, Worcester (as Arthur Morris MOORE)

Prior to this he was with his family.

What we'd like to know is why Arthur took his family to Surrey some time after 1873 until probably 1881 or earlier, and what did he do there?

I'd be very grateful for any suggestions.

Kind regards, Arranroots :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Maurice MOORE, draper comes to Surrey
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 May 13 07:41 BST (UK) »
Seen this baptism? I wonder if there is a connection

Croydon, 11 February 1883:

Arthur Morris Moore

Born 19 December 1882

Father:   Arthur James Moore
Mother:   Ann
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Maurice MOORE, draper comes to Surrey
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 May 13 09:41 BST (UK) »
Seen this baptism? I wonder if there is a connection

Croydon, 11 February 1883:

Arthur Morris Moore

Born 19 December 1882

Father:   Arthur James Moore
Mother:   Ann

Hi Shaun

Thanks for your reply and yes, I had seen it.

I don't know what the connection is, but it seems coincidental, doesn't it? Maybe there were family members in the area? Not the main line, but maybe siblings.

Arthur M MOORE and Jane had their second and third children in the home counties area: Thomas Maurice MOORE in 1876 in Woolwich (varies on census) and Dudley Maurice (sometimes Marcus) MOORE in 1877 in Croydon, returning to Warwickshire by 1881, which I think rules out it being the same person fathering the child you've found. Almost entirely but the usual genealogical doubt!!

(For completeness, Arthur is in Birmingham on the date of the 1881 census, married, still a draper, staying with his sister Katherine and b-i-l John MIDDLETON. In 1891 he has returned to Preston Bagot, Warwickshire and is managing the family farm for his elderly father - family reunited).

So "our" Arthur took his wife and child to Surrey, lingered for a few years, then returned. It's a bit late in life to be an apprentice and I can't find directory entries for a new business there, so I'm still wondering why.

Thank you, Shaun, for taking the trouble to look!

Kind regards, Arranroots :)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)