Author Topic: Liddle/Liddel/Little, Fanny/Frances born in Londonderry Ireland abt 1782  (Read 569 times)

Offline Jeannetta

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have been trying without much luck to find more information about my GGG grandparents, i.e. Fanny Little b. abt 1782 (various spellings Liddle, Liddel, and Little) born in Londonderry, N Ireland and  Robert Mcleod (b. abt 1776, Sutherland, Scotland.  It has been presumed that Robert Mcleod was in one of the Fencibles and was sent to Ireland during some troubles there, and that he then met Fanny there and they married.  Their first son, George Mcleod, was born in Londonderry in 1800, and thereafter Fanny and Robert and George went back to Robert's own country where they had a further seven children. 

I have been unable to find anything more about Fanny and Robert  during their time in Ireland,  i.e. record of their marriage/ birth of George/ Fanny's parents, siblings  and so on, due, it seems, to some records having been destroyed.  I would appreciate any information at all (including any information on Robert's family/parents/siblings in Scotland). Thank you.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liddle/Liddel/Little, Fanny/Frances born in Londonderry Ireland abt 1782
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 May 13 18:30 BST (UK) »
due, it seems, to some records having been destroyed.
The Irish 'records' haven't been destroyed- they simply didn't exist for that period.

Civil registration of births, marriages & deaths started 1864 and 1845. It is also too early for census records.

Church records, if they did exist, will probably not go back far enough to cover the period.

Have a look at Introduction to Irish Records and My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!