Author Topic: Ann Orton (Amongst other names) born 1819 lived all over Warwickshire  (Read 4197 times)

Offline larzus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,

I am stuck with this one.  I am seeking this lady's children in England - or elsewhere - hopefully in census or BDM parish or civil 1830 - 1852.

Ann/Anne Orton daughter of John (presumably John Orton but no guarantees) said she was born in Northampton in 1819 (or 1817), but in 1851 her father, brother James and sister Margaret were in Coventry, Warwickshire.   This from Anne's convict transport record.  She was a shoebinder and laundress.  She was apparently a widow. 

She had six children (several sources reference this) and at least some of them were surnamed Hingley.  The father's name was given as Samuel Hingley.

A newspaper report (Coventry Herald 04 July 1851) says she was committed on 20th May 1851 in Coventry which matches convict records, for stealing clothing from a child.   She was listed as Ann Orton alias Ingleby.   

She made a plea for leniency due to having "six darling children".  She is reported in the paper as being a "big, hardy-looking Irishwoman".  Her plea did not help as she had previously been remanded in Birmingham for abandoning her children in Wolverhampton.  While detained for this earlier offence she committed a felony and now the new theft was a second confirmed conviction.  No dates provided.  Earlier offenses are recorded on her convict record too but no dates again.

Four children travelled to Hobart, Tasmania, Australia with her arriving Jul 1852 , being - according to convict record - Denis born 1843, Caroline (really Catherine) born 1845 (or 1843 or 1841 marriage and death records respectively), James born 1847 and John born 1849, all with surname Orton.  Upon arrival in Hobart 3 of the children were admitted to the Queen's Orphanage with surname Hingley but mother's surname Acton.  Their father was given as Samuel Hingley. 

Ann never settled as a convict.  She was constantly assigned to a post and returned routinely every three months as disobedient, disorderly, sometimes drunk, always neglectful of duty.  She completed several stints of hard labour, had an illegitimate child (no idea what happened to that one), had an application to marry refused and her application for ticket of leave was also refused. 

Denis the eldest was apprenticed to a businessman in Hobart and absconded in 1858.  He probably left the state and may have returned to England.  Ann absconded later in the same year and possibly they went together.

I have not located James or the little one John who most likely did not survive the voyage, but Catherine the daughter is my ggg grandmother and remained in Hobart. 

Ann could read but not write. 

I believe the 1851 census was taken on 30 March and Ann was in court on 20th May so I was hoping to locate her, either in gaol waiting for trial or loose near Allesley or Coventry.  The children, I thought, would be in the workhouse if they were abandoned not long ago.  They were clearly located before she set sail.

I can't find any of the above - three generations worth - in the 1851 or the 1841 census or birth or death records, except possibly Samuel Hingley in 1848 in the deaths.

Does anyone have any tricks for finding people in Warwickshire/Staffordshire?  I notice Hingley is a name from towns called Dudley and Tipton but no Samuels amongst them.  Not sure if the Northampton data is valid or not. 

All ideas welcome!

Irene
O'Keefe Clare Ireland, Briers Leicestershire, Brown Fordham Cambridgeshire, McKinley Fermanagh, Cox from Windsor, Berkshire, Dunstall Sussex, Morey Dorset, Peard Fermoy, Dillane Limerick, Lockley Staffordshire, Cowen Birmingham, Bone Kent and many many more.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Orton (Amongst other names) born 1819 lived all over Warwickshire
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 May 13 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

They are very tricky to find, have found one James Hingley aged 4 bn Dudley,  in the workhouse at Tipton.

Also an 'orphan' in the same place Rhoda (H)orton aged 8.

Orton is a name in my family tree, so I know how difficult they are to trace!

claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline larzus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 May 13 09:56 BST (UK) »
It could be my James.  I was hoping to find at least a few siblings together to help with confirmation.  A name like Orton, an illiterate family and an Irish accent all make it harder.  Plus the region with so many people just struggling to survive!  They have a remarkable story, but it is very hard to get at.

Thank you very much for looking.  I'll try to work with this lad James, see if it gets anywhere.

Irene
O'Keefe Clare Ireland, Briers Leicestershire, Brown Fordham Cambridgeshire, McKinley Fermanagh, Cox from Windsor, Berkshire, Dunstall Sussex, Morey Dorset, Peard Fermoy, Dillane Limerick, Lockley Staffordshire, Cowen Birmingham, Bone Kent and many many more.

Offline milliecooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 June 16 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi! Just wondering if you found anything else out about Ann as she is my gggg grandmother! We must be related some how.

My nan told me that her and her siblings all had to be tested for some kind of hereditary disease that was traced back to Ann but I'm not sure of the details! I just thought that was an interesting thing.

Thanks, Millie TAS

Offline Patunia47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 June 16 11:14 BST (UK) »
Re Ann Orton
I am a direct descendent of Ann Orton on my paternal side. I received a letter from the Uni of Tas in 1988, to inform me of the list of hereditary disease. I know I am a direct descendant because I qualify for several of them. My line is Ann, Catherine Lockley, James Percy Lockley and my father Alfred Charles Lockley.

Offline milliecooke

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 June 16 13:44 BST (UK) »
That's interesting! I descend from Catherine lockley, Lucy Emma burke, Kathleen priest, then Josephine (Sally) mills my grandmother

Offline Patunia47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 December 16 00:22 GMT (UK) »
"Ann Orton possibly married William Barclay (possibly per Pyramus) 1 Sep 1858 Kingston, Tasmania aged 36 yrs. If she did marry William she died in the Newtown Charitable Institute, a pauper of consumption. Ann Barclay was buried at Cornelian Bay Cemetery, in a paupers grave."
D Wong 4th September, 2016. http:/www.convictrecords.com.au/contributions/58

It is stated Ann was born in Northampton, but in her conviction it states "the prisoner, a big, hardy-looking Irishwoman" If she was the one that married Wm Barclay, on the death certificate it says she was born in Ireland. Dennis, Caroline (Catherine) and James were all known as Hingley. She had a son John Orton, after she was widowed. Her daughter Mary Ann Orton was born illegitimate on the 4th May 1854 and died aged 2 months of diahhroea, No 1367 June 30th 1854.