Author Topic: Help - Marriage Duffield 1822 - Henry Goodall & Hannah Beardsley  (Read 568 times)

Offline Pabeck

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help - Marriage Duffield 1822 - Henry Goodall & Hannah Beardsley
« on: Friday 17 May 13 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi
My GGG Grandfather was Henry Goodall born in Staffordshire in 1799.
His wife was Hannah Beardsley, who I think was born in Derbyshire.
I believe they were married in Duffield on 28 Aug 1822 (according to England Marriages on Family Search).
If anyone has anymore information about this marriage (witnesses) it would give me a pointer about Hannah, as there are several Hannah Beardsleys' in Derbyshire during this period. Census records show that she was born @1800.
Any help would be welcome
Thanks
Gill

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Help - Marriage Duffield 1822 - Henry Goodall & Hannah Beardsley
« Reply #1 on: Friday 17 May 13 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi

Did they live in Derbyshire after their marriage?  Can't find an 1841/51 census entry at the moment
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 May 13 10:44 BST (UK) »
As  general guide line.....church weddings saw Bride's marrying in their own Parish....i.e the Parish in which they were either born, or living at the time of marriage........which means that it is likely that Hannah came from Duffield.......but the nearest i can get is Hannah Beardsley 1781 daughter of William...is it possible that she was older than you say?

..also, you will not find any added info , like witnesses on the earlier weddings.......1822 is border-line early!!....it depends on Parish, but at Duffield, is unlikely.but I'll look!!
Having failed to find either of them on the 1841..I looked on the Death Indexes, which of course start at 1837.........The only deaths I found were:-

Hannah Goodall OND 1838 Belper (The registration District for Duffield)
Henry Goodall..two entries at Burton on trent staffs AMJ 1838...............if they died before 1837 we are going to be immensely lucky to find them!!

Derek.
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Pabeck

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 May 13 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi
Carole & Derek thanks for your replies.
I can add a little more info.
By 1841 both Henry & Hannah were in London - Henry in Marchelsea prison and Hannah living at Rathbone Place with children.(The address given on Henry's bankruptcy).
My GG Grandfather was John Goodall born in Manchester @ 1822, so I'm not really sure whether I'm looking for a Goodall or a Beardsley, but I'm assuming that either way Hannah was his mother.
John was also living in London in 1841, working as an apprentice in the same trade as his father. I also have the record of his marriage in London which clearly shows that the same Henry was given as his father.
I've also seen the marriage records of other children living with Hannah in 1841 which show the same Henry as father.
I've not been able to trace a birth record for John or find anything about him since the census in 1851.
 It's only recently that I have found this record of marriage in Duffield so was hoping to find out more about Hannah and follow that path.
Thanks again
Gill