Author Topic: Help deciphering and understanding the Latin text of 1859 marriage record  (Read 1140 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Louis Lachapelle appears on the 1852 Canadian census with wife Roseanne, children from his first marriage and children with Roseanne.  The children of his union with Roseanne are baptized at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic church, Beaverton, Ontario April 4, 1859.  The marriage of 44 year old Louis to 27 year old Roseanne took place the following June.  Latin text is written above the marriage details and I have been told it is a dispensation due to 2nd degree of cosanquinity and I would like to confirm or refute this but I am having trouble figuring out exactly what the written words are.

The marriage entry was photographed from an LDS film as the reader had no capacity to print out images.  In snipping the text from the photos some words or parts of words repeat from image to image.  Also in the photo marked pg. 1 in the 3rd and 5th boxes you have the loops of a name written above crossing into the Latin text.

Any help appreciated.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering and understanding the Latin text of 1859 marriage record
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 May 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
Here's a stab at the first page. The word endings (which determine the grammar) are hard to decipher, but something like ...

obtenta dispensatione secundum gradus exaudientem Sanatium

Roughly translates as ...

dispensation having been obtained for the second degree [of consanguinity] in compliance with the Sanatio

'Sanatio' is a form of dispensation for the validation of a marriage.
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/15256c.htm

(I didn't see the second page before, but I'll come back to it later if no-one else does.)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 May 13 12:17 BST (UK) »
Regret I can't add anything useful to the above.

On p. 2, the date in lines 3-5 is obviously April 1859, but not sure if it's the 16th (as suggested).

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 May 13 16:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for your help with this problem.  It appears from what you were able to decipher that whoever did the first translation of the text was correct.  Since I had no source for the information and no one actually had an image of the marriage entry I ordered the film to verify "facts".  This is a family where other "facts" are circulating with absolutely no proof and I'm trying to make my tree supported by evidence.