Author Topic: Hassett : Kilrush 1913  (Read 3073 times)

Offline LeeanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hassett : Kilrush 1913
« on: Monday 20 May 13 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone could help?  My great-aunt married one James Paul Flannan Hassett who was born in Kilrush in 1913.  I have been trying to find birth/baptism information for him with no success.  It seems that either there are very few records for Kilrush online, or maybe I am just looking in the wrong places?

I have no other information for him other than what I have mentioned above, and then as far as I know he was Roman Catholic.

Would anyone perhaps know where (other than FamilySearch, Ancestry and the County Clare Library) I could try looking for parish records, or would anyone be able to do a lookup for me?  I have tried contacting St. Sennans Parish, but have yet to receive a reply from them.

BLUNDEN, BLUNDELL, ANDREWS, CUFFE, CREAGHE, BALFOUR, BALNEAVIS, BECHER, CARSON, CHALONER, LLOYD, OSBOURNE, HONE, KNOX, LODGE, MAUNSELL, O'MALLEY - Ireland; ERLANK, ERLANG - Sweden; GRIESSEL, OSCHE - Germany; CONRADIE, SLATEM, DAVEL, KEMM, TAYLOR, EBDEN - South Africa; PLANTAGENET - England

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Hassett : Kilrush 1913
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 May 13 13:10 BST (UK) »
Parish baptism records after about 1900 are not usually online.

The best place to search is the Irish BMD Index on the FamilySearch website.

Do you have marriage details for your gt-aunt & James ?

You might be able to locate his father on the 1911 census based on his name and occupation on the cert...
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 May 13 13:13 BST (UK) »
have you tried a cert for this birth entry ?

Name: James Flannan Hassett
  Event Type:    Birth
  Quarter and Year:    Jan - Mar 1914
  Registration District:    Kilrush
  Volume :    4 / Page :    247

see : https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FBTS-HY9

Estimated years of birth based on later records are not always accurate, so I'd allow at least a couple of years either way when searching, although he could have been born late in the year, and registered early in 1914

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline LeeanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 May 13 21:34 BST (UK) »
That they were married in the Transvaal, South Africa, is all I know about their marriage.  He immigrated here (SA) at some point, and he worked as a Catholic Priest for some time, then eventually became a homeopath.  We used to visit with them so often when I was little, but both him and my great-aunt have since passed away, and naturally I only became interested in genealogy long after they had gone.  None of the people who would have the info I'm looking for are alive anymore.  I have actually requested the family search document from our local LDS branch and am still waiting for that, thank you very much for checking for me though, I do appreciate it  :)
BLUNDEN, BLUNDELL, ANDREWS, CUFFE, CREAGHE, BALFOUR, BALNEAVIS, BECHER, CARSON, CHALONER, LLOYD, OSBOURNE, HONE, KNOX, LODGE, MAUNSELL, O'MALLEY - Ireland; ERLANK, ERLANG - Sweden; GRIESSEL, OSCHE - Germany; CONRADIE, SLATEM, DAVEL, KEMM, TAYLOR, EBDEN - South Africa; PLANTAGENET - England