Author Topic: Bowler and Burdett Dunstable/Woburn  (Read 2064 times)

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
Bowler and Burdett Dunstable/Woburn
« on: Saturday 25 May 13 22:00 BST (UK) »
Looking for John Bowler.  His son John Bliss Bowler was baptised in Dunstable in 1783, son of John and Ann.

John Bowler married Ann Burdett in 1782 also in Dunstable.

I believe John may be the John Bowler son of John and Martha Bowler born 13.4.1760 bp 11.5.1760 Woburn, Beds. Siblings Faith 1768, Martha 1763 and Sarah 1761. Per IGI.

I cannot find a marriage for John and Martha or a baptism for Ann although I have found two burials: on 3rd March 1786 of Thomas Burdett at Dunstable followed on 20th March 1786  by that of Martha Burdett per parish records.  The third son of John Bowler and Ann was called Thomas (the first two were John Bliss and Jesse) and their first daughter was called Martha so these burials may be those of Ann's parents.

Any help would be much appreciated - it would be nice to knock down another brick wall!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bowler and Burdett Dunstable/Woburn
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 July 13 14:26 BST (UK) »
There are several trees on Ancestry with John Bowler in them. One tree has John born 1760 in Bathwick Somerset, and he dies on the 1/11/1828-married to Ann Burdett, but of course this has to be checked very carefully. As well as John/ Jesse/ Thomas/ and Martha, there are 4 or 5 more children as well.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 July 13 16:12 BST (UK) »
John Bowler married Ann Burdett in 1782 also in Dunstable.

Does the parish register entry give any other detail - parish of residence - or do the witnesses provide any clues?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 14 July 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your interest.

John Bliss Bowler born 1783 Dunstable moved to Bath Somerset married, produced children and died there according to the various census.  I believe the move took place about 1794 with his parents, as a sister was born in Dunstable in 1792 and a brother, Robert Burdett Bowler, in 1796 in Bath.  Therefore the tree that has John Bowler born in Somerset is almost certainly wrong, however, I believe the details of death are correct.  Would love to know why they moved!

The parish record, which I have checked, for the marriage in Dunstable contains no further details unfortunately.

Gill

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline pgb

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 21:52 GMT (UK) »
A grandson of John and Anne Bowler set up a brass foundry and mineral water business in Bath.  When the business closed, it was turned into "The Bowler museum", now called "The Museum of Bath at Work" (see https://www.bath-at-work.org.uk/about).  They have a genealogy from John and Anne to the present day and many of their descendants have Burdett as a second or third name.  It lists John and Anne's children as Jessy or Jeffrey (d 1848), John (1783-1852), Anne (1793-1852), Robert Burdett (1795-1862), Mary (1800-1822), Joseph (b 1800), Fredrick (1802-1854) (my ancestor), Martha (d 1854) and Edwin (d 1879).

I am interested in why so many of my family have Burdett as a second or third name.  Was Anne Burdett a significant person (Sir Robert Burdett was a baronet in the eighteenth century)?

Pete George Burdett Bowler

Offline ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 16 November 21 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello distant cousin!

Yes, I have a book about the brass foundry, unfortunately the museum was not open when we visited Bath, some years ago.

I have no idea why the Burdett name appears to be so important, my line is from Mary Ann Bowler, 1820-1871 daughter of John Bliss Bowler and the Burdett name was not carried down -  don't know where the 'Bliss' came from either.  I believe John born 1720 was the son of John and Martha bp 11 May 1760 Woburn.  His parents were probably John and Sarah, bp 11 Sep 1721 Woburn.  I have no information re. Ann Burdett.

Gill