Author Topic: Messenger Family of Chilton  (Read 1491 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Messenger Family of Chilton
« Reply #9 on: Friday 31 May 13 10:22 BST (UK) »

Hi Carol

Thanks for the info. I'm doing this tree as a surprise for an old friend and this is the only line that's causing me problems.

I'll see if I can find anything else about George and let you know.

Margaret

Offline enzedcam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 31 May 13 14:34 BST (UK) »
Lucky friend!

I've done a little more digging since yesterday, but didn't find anything promising, so it will be good to hear if you have more success than me.

Regards, Carol  :)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 31 May 13 16:46 BST (UK) »

Hi Carol

I've been on an elimination round this afternoon to see what else may give me a clue to Ann's mother's name but couldn't find anything. I then took each of the names on the 1841 to see if they would give me a clue but sadly they all seem to have died or disappeared before the 1851 census.

George isn't on the 1851 census but there's two deaths in the 1st and 3rd quarter 1850 for George Messenger in Thame.

I managed to find the death of John Messenger in 1st quarter 1893 in Thame. Then I looked for Elijah and there's no record for him after the 1841 census not even a death. Henry died 1st quarter 1849 in Thame and then the twins Francis and George both died 1st quarter 1850 in Thame.

For the moment the brickwall is getting higher but I'll knock it down somehow.

I'm wondering if there was an epidemic or an accident linking the deaths of George and the twins?

Margaret

Offline enzedcam

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 June 13 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi Margaret

I’ve found a couple of death entries that may be a match for George’s spouse/Ann’s mother:

Messenger, Elizabeth d. Dec 1838, Thame

Messender, Elizabeth d. Jun 1838, Aylesbury

I had a look on FamilySearch to see if I could find a marriage and found George Messenger m. Elizabeth Curry in May 1825, but this was in Redruth, Cornwall. There is a death entry for Elizabeth Ann Messenger in Redruth in 1839, so I’m inclined to think this is not the one we are after. :-\

Regards, Carol.

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 June 13 13:44 BST (UK) »

Hi Carol

The marriage certificate for William and Ann arrived this morning and it confirms my research for the Munt line and also yours for the Messenger line.

I agree that the death of Elizabeth in Thame is a strong possibility for Ann's mother now all we need to do is find the marriage of George and Elizabeth. Like you I've had another look at the IGI and there is definitely no records for a marriage for them. As we don't know where they married it's going to be difficult to find but not impossible I'm sure. I'll have to think this one through, there has to be a way to find it.

The other alternative is that Ann's mother was staying somewhere else on the night of the 1841 census what do you think?

Regards Margaret