Author Topic: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner  (Read 123302 times)

Offline bugle boy

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • live and let live
    • View Profile
Re: Can Rootschat members help? - Lost Teddy Bear 'Seeks' Owner
« Reply #90 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
the little girl holding the bear seems to have little silver buckles on her shoes,Im just wondering if there could be a scottish connection?maybe the little girl wore those shoes with a little kilt? or did little girls of that era throughout Britain wear shoes with little silver buckles?any ideas?
Adams,McKittrick. Co Down. N Ireland.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 19:30 BST (UK) »
Sprutorch9....Yes that was my take on the 1 year 5 months date in my earlier post and I think it is to remember a deceased child to be included in the photo to the Father of his 3 children....I think the silver tankard could also be a memento of to the child in the locket photo.

I'm not convinced it's a Steiff Teddy as the neck isn't jointed and the snout looks too long...I can't see anyone being that careless with such a collectable bear...but I could be wrong.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Sprutorch9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Elizabeth, Sarah, & Catherine Dunwoody
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 19:46 BST (UK) »
Treetotal - sorry missed that post!  :-[
Hard to tell if bear is Steiff or not - maybe it does have a jointed neck but hard to tell.
I don't see the 'button' in the ear but that could have been taken out.
Didn't Steiff bears have a 'humpback' like a grizzly bear?
Again - can't tell from photo.
Also - I just put the photo on my PictureIt and did a negative view of it - that younger child either has a bow of some sort or lots of curls on it's head!
I just changed the contrast on it and the younger child has a mass of curls!!!!
DUNWOODY: Antrim/Down Ireland; New Jersey/Ohio, USA.
WINDREM: Antrim/Down Ireland; New Jersey, USA.
MCGRILLAN: Antrim/Down Ireland
MCCARTHY: Antrim/Down Ireland

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 20:16 BST (UK) »
Yes...you're right...that was a distinct feature of the Steiff bear.

I'm inclined to think the child with the bows is a boy...buckle shoes and long socks...the younger child has shorter socks and girlie shoes and not boots and is wearing white socks not dark ones often seen in photos of this era on boys...also..the phrase..."Little Daughter" suggests the girl is the younger child...all speculation I know...but we are all brainstorming in the absence of any other clues.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 20:17 BST (UK) »
the little girl holding the bear seems to have little silver buckles on her shoes,Im just wondering if there could be a scottish connection?maybe the little girl wore those shoes with a little kilt? or did little girls of that era throughout Britain wear shoes with little silver buckles?any ideas?

Just before I read Bugle Boy's post re the Scottish connection I was thinking that sonnie sounds like a Scottish term for son.  As others have mentioned there could be clues in the "other items" that were found with the bear/photo.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline Sprutorch9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 20:33 BST (UK) »
Now I am trying to clean up that postcard back and the more I look at it I am not sure what that first name is. The other 'r's and 'a's are very clear and crisp yet that name isn't. I am trying to remove the scribble but am having trouble.
Comparing it to other letters in other words: it looks like 'D', 'o', 'something', 'something'??!!  ::)
Treetotal - would a boy that age wear bows?
That little one sure looks like a little girl but so hard to tell at that age back then!
I am getting confused!  :-\

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 20:49 BST (UK) »

...the younger child has shorter socks and girlie shoes and not boots and is wearing white socks not dark ones often seen in photos of this era on boys..
Carol

Boys did wear white socks too.
I have a picture of my father aged about 3 taken mid 1920's wearing white socks that come about halfway up his calves. His shoes are like those the younger child is wearing

I don't think a boy of that age would have ribbons in his hair, even if he was still wearing a dress ( tho isnt 1919 a bit late for that to still happen?)

Plus ssaying from "your daughter & son Dora & Glyn" implies the girl is the elder child -- otherwise surely the son would be mentioned first?
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Sprutorch9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 20:57 BST (UK) »
Just looked at a pic of my father at age 2 in 1918 and he does have white socks and white shoes. However, photo was taken in the US.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 21:03 BST (UK) »
Plus ssaying from "your daughter & son Dora & Glyn" implies the girl is the elder child -- otherwise surely the son would be mentioned first?

I agree.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk