Author Topic: shipping to Australia 1800's  (Read 672 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
shipping to Australia 1800's
« on: Sunday 02 June 13 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hello all,

How would one go about finding family coming into Australia early 1800's.. around 1828..from the Uk.
I have looked at all other avenues and so need some help.

Cheers
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: shipping to Australia 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 June 13 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

In the 1820s there were two main destinations for those who 'came free' ...... either New South Wales or Van Diemen's Land.   

It would help if you provided the known details about the family you are looking for...... 

What is the surname for this family?
What are the names and if possible their ages .....
Where in the UK were they from .....
Do you know the occupation .....

You say you have looked at all other avenues .... please advise what avenues you have already searched, so we can avoid duplicating your efforts.

Have a good read through this link as there's some great tips there
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,368728.0.html

And have a good search of the links at the following RChat Resources Board (including NSW and Tas too)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,369775.0.html

And of course the following link takes you to images of passenger lists, free to search and covers into NSW from 1828 (your year !)
http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs-5316

Fingers crossed this helps

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: shipping to Australia 1800's
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 June 13 11:40 BST (UK) »
majm, thank you for your very prompt reply, I didn't note info as I have asked about this person quite a number of times and feel like I'm repeating myself all the time.

I'm about to take  a look at what you have sent..thank you so much for that.

Cheers
yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay