Author Topic: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family  (Read 57536 times)

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tammy married her daughter off - ELLINgTON Family
« Reply #126 on: Friday 15 November 13 05:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

Ah .... now I've got it. I've found mine - I hadn't bought the file after all - just specific individual pages from TNA. And I'd advise you not to bother because:
1) they charge 10 pound per image,
2) the images are very poor quality because they give you a double page spread of a very large ledger and by the time you've magnified it to read, it's gone all pixellated, and
3) there is no information in that ledger to absolutely nail his identity i.e. no birthdate, no home address, no name of next of kin.

You found this lad at FindMyPast in the maritime deaths, the transcriptions of BT 153, correct? And it gave the ship name as INVICTA of Sunderland? And the date as Dec. 1867?

I had done mine the more roundabout way because I didn't have FindMyPast and didn't know that they had indexed and transcribed BT 153. I bought all parts of BT 155 (the indices to the ship names in BT 153) and all parts of BT 154 (the indices by surnames of the deceased seamen), read them all line by line, picked out my ships, used the page number cross-references to buy images from TNA.

Transcription error may explain the difference in dates. There are four dates in the actual ledger:
1) date of engagement i.e. the date that his name was entered onto the crew agreement
2) presumed date of death (that would be September 1867)
3) date that his wages were paid into a shipping office
4) date that all this information was sent to the BoT (that could have been December 1867)
and it's possible that the transcriber wrote down the wrong one.

The best bet to establish if he were really your lad would have been the crew agreement, but .... I've checked the CLIP website for you and it doesn't seem to have survived. So ... erm ... don't know what to suggest next. Even sending for the death certificate doesn't seem worthwhile, because BT 153 would have been the source for the information on that certificate.

But I would still take that list of crew names published in the Shields Gazette and run them all through the maritime deaths in FindMyPast to see how many of them survived as per The Shipwrecked Mariner because a total payout of 24 pound suggests to me that there were multiple survivors. Either that or another INVICTA of Sunderland. Well .... maybe there was a second Ellington in the crew? (smile) Yes, I know .... faint hope that, but hope springs eternal.

Cheers,
Westoe

P.S. Wait! Stop the Presses! I'm wrong! The crew agreement DOES survive. It's at TNA in file BT 99/411. It would be worthwhile to buy that I think - can't be any more expensive than buying one from Newfoundland (smile).

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Friday 15 November 13 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Drosybont and Westoe

Had hoped that this might have been another 'Transfer' and Goodsir story, where I eventually found that they were all saved, - but I think unfortunately no -some dates don't quite tie up ( like ship sailed on 23rd Sept, when Peter is down as signing on the 24th Sept ).
What I have cleaned so far is that 'Invicta' reg. 58087 an Iron Barque of 354 T built in south dock Sunderland sailed from S/land on her Maiden voyage to Alexandria on the 23rd Sept ? 1867.

Her long boat was picked up by the fishing smack 'Pet' and taken into Yarmouth, crew of 'Pet' reported seeing Masts of 'Invicta' on Haisborough Sands on 27th Sept.

Crew as follows (on BT153) :
Alexander Brown   Master         Age                    signed on
George.N. Cook     Mate           23                       18.9.67
Jas Pierce              Bosun         34                       21.9.67
P.Ellington             Carp           35                       24.9.67
Hy.Brown        Cook/Steward    32                       21.9.67
Rob Smith              AB             23                          "
Chas.Brown             "               27                          "
R.Langley                "                22                          "
Chas Gray               "                23                          "
Geo.Johnson            "               28                          "
Exion Emmerson   App.             18                       11.8.67
Fras.Dixon             "                 16                       19.9.67

Rather sad

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)
Macaire. Eusebe. Boitel. Beaulieu. Gordon. Tillman. Fear. Wood.
 ( London/ Middlesex & Devon )

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Friday 15 November 13 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Sept 23/'67 vs. Sept. 24/'67 ?  -a mere bagatelle, John. Vessels often left the harbour ( to meet published sailing dates or to take advantage of the tide) but then had to hang around outside because they didn't have their full complement of crew aboard. Perhaps the originally-signed carpenter was one of the drunken 'no-shows' and Peter was brought out as a replacement. That's something else the crew list would tell you. And ... since INVICTA was on her maiden voyage, Peter's previous ship (there's a column for that in the crew list) would have had to have been something else and that will take you back a bit further.

Cheers,
Westoe

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Friday 15 November 13 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello Drosybont
Could you let me know please on which actual article in newspapers, will I find the crews addresses,
working on FindMyPast and running out of credits fast!! Or if you can - just P.Ellington's address.

As  although crew list exist at TNA the BT 99/411 has not yet been digitalised, but have sent for an estimate anyway, as Westoe says it should have more info on Peter.

Thanks in advance

Best

John
Goodsir.  Ellington. Tillman.  Wilson. AngAs. Capstaff (Northumberland & Durham)

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Friday 15 November 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I've been dipping in and out of this in between work, evening out etc.  In the Shields Gazette Monday 30 September under headline 'Supposed loss of the barque Invicta, of Sunderland, with all hands', in list of crew under heading 'Seamen':

Peter Ellington, 21 South Johnson Street, Sunderland

Hope this helps.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Friday 15 November 13 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Drosybont

Thank you very much indeed, for taking the time, once you have been retired for some length of time and get stuck on the computer, one forgets that people you are talking to on the net, don't have the free time that you do - so tis me who says sorry.

Looks like it is certainly our Peter - what a pity though !

Best and Thanks again, hope the evening went well.

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Westoe
Have been in touch with the very helpful ladies at Local Studies, but they could not come up with anything more than I already have, but they did suggest that maybe the 'Sunderland Maritime Heritage group' might have more info, so have sent a mail to them.
Contacted TNA re. File BT  99/411 - but it has not yet been digitalised, but the will give me a quote !
This is what I have so far on 'Invicta' :

What I have cleaned so far is that 'Invicta' reg. 58087 an Iron Barque of 354 T built by Messres Ilff ,Mounsey & co  in south dock Sunderland for Mears & Foreman sailed from S/land on her Maiden voyage to Alexandria and Odessa  Loaded 630T Large Coals - £325 for Lumsden Byers &Co.on the 23rd Sept 1867, and was lost with all hands on Hasborough Sands.
Her long boat was picked up by the fishing smack 'Pet' and taken into Yarmouth, crew of 'Pet' reported seeing Masts of 'Invicta' on Haisborough Sands on 27th Sept.

One other report stated that the owners & friends had gone out on her on the 23rd and that she had sailed well and reached 11Knots in ‘Sunderland Roads’ ( where ever that might be).

Another suggested (hopefully) that since she had three boats onboard, and only one was found, that as the wind after the event happened, had veered to the West – they might still turn up on the other side of the North sea.

Best

John

Offline John1935

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Fogot to ask, on your collection of BT 154s did you by chance have anything on 'Henry George Ellington' (Thomasin's husband), who I cannot find. Disappeared somewhere between 1834 ( when Thomasin is still using 'Ellington' as a surname ) and 1841 - when she isn't.

Best

John

Offline Westoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: Wednesday 20 November 13 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Another suggested (hopefully) that since she had three boats onboard, and only one was found, that as the wind after the event happened, had veered to the West – they might still turn up on the other side of the North sea.

Hello John,

Hmmmnn. That supports what I was suggesting via The Shipwrecked Mariner, but I don't know how one would go about following up that lead.

Re your other question: no, don't think so but will look again.

Cheers,
Westoe