Author Topic: Kate Lydia Wakeley  (Read 1025 times)

Offline waddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kate Lydia Wakeley
« on: Monday 03 June 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,
My G.Aunt Kate Lydia Wakeley b 1885 London, emigrated to St John, New Brunswick, in 1924 together with her husband Richard Wood and their children. Her parents Sarah Rose and Charles McCarthy married in 1885.  Can anyone throw any light on why her parents used the surname Wakeley/Wakley just after their marriage, registered 2 children with that name, and then reverted back to McCarthy by  the 1891 England Census?
Waddy

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kate Lydia Wakeley
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 03:15 BST (UK) »
New Brunswick Provincial Archives has the image for the death of Richard Robert Wood and Catherine Lydia Wood.  Parents of Catherine are shown as Charles McCarty and Sarah Wakefield - so yet another variation of the name to persue. 

A posting on another forum shows you indicate Catherine Lydia's mother is Sarah Matilda Rose.  The marriage I can find for Charles William McCarthy in 1885 is to a Sarah Matilda Perkins (FreeBMD).  Is this the marriage you are using for this couple?

The Form 30As for the 1924 emigration give Catherine's mother as Mrs. Mitchell.  A remarriage in 1910 to George Mitchell in St. Olave and living with daughter Nellie McCarthy in 1911 and working as a charwoman.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 05:32 BST (UK) »
A posting on another forum shows you indicate Catherine Lydia's mother is Sarah Matilda Rose.  The marriage I can find for Charles William McCarthy in 1885 is to a Sarah Matilda Perkins (FreeBMD).  Is this the marriage you are using for this couple?

The 1881 England census has a couple named James and Sarah Perkins and the Free BMD has a marriage for James Perkins with a Sarah Rose on the same page. James Perkins died in 1883.

My only guess regarding the different names is it might be linked to some anti-Irish backlash at the time.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline waddy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 June 13 21:43 BST (UK) »
Cosmac and Jacquie thank you very much for your input. I hoped by posting on the Canada forum the name would ring a bell with someone who has Canadian connections.  Sarah Rose married 3 times: James Perkins who died in 1883, then Charles McCarthy in 1885, and finally George Mitchell in 1910.  She married Charles in Mar 1885 and they used the name McCarthy, but by the time their 1st daughter Mary was born 4 months later they were using the surname Wakely, and were still doing so when Kate was born in 1887, yet they still lived in the same area of Bermondsey.  By the 1891 England Census the whole family, step children included were called McCarthy again.  They had another daughter Nellie McCarthy in 1899. 

Perhaps the name Wakefield in the death record is just a mistake as everyone knew the family as McCarthy, and I only uncovered all this when I went looking for official records.   Jacquie you could be right with the anti-Irish option in which case I shall never know.  There are no family left to ask that I know of so I'm afraid this could be the end of the quest.  Many thanks again for your help it is much appreciated.
Waddy